Thread: Take Me To Your Leader...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Take Me To Your Leader...

Attached Images Attached Images

I was archiving images from 2017 finding this image among the imaged of Florida Burrowing Owls in Cape Coral, Florida. I find the image whimsical, the wings hanging down, wet feathers and the stare. Cute little critters, I look forward ever year to spend a few days with them. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/250 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1250 WB set on a neutral area with the eyedropper, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reductioin
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Joe. As you say, it's a fun image. I like the setting and scene, pose, and expression. Did you clone something out in the sand to the right (as viewed) of the bird's leg? Seems like a small OOF bit there that draws my eye. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joseph. I like the cool expression on its face, the composition, background and processing. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Becker View Post
    Nice one Joe. As you say, it's a fun image. I like the setting and scene, pose, and expression. Did you clone something out in the sand to the right (as viewed) of the bird's leg? Seems like a small OOF bit there that draws my eye. TFS
    Hi Alex, you have great eyes. Yes I did remove a single out of focus blade of grass from that area. I should have left things alone, very difficult to remove something and not leave a trace. Here is a repost of the original as converted to a 16 bit TIFF. Thank you for viewing and commenting.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 12-11-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe,
    I love these guys and will miss seeing them this spring as we are not going to Florida in 2019.
    Good solid image.
    I would brighten the exposure slightly and remove the magenta cast seen in the sand mound.It is interesting to see that the magenta cast is not as prominent in the TIFF but as in the JPEG so I would revisit your workflow.
    With regards to the blade of grass- did you try the spot healing brush? I find that works the best for this situation. The patch tool is sometimes really effective as well. The clone tool is terrible for this type of removal.
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice owl in a nice setting. Like the pose on the owl.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a priceless pose you got here! The wet feathers contribute to the overall whimsical feel to the image too. I hope you took some verticals as well?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fun pose and what characters these guys are. I agree about the magenta cast but otherwise, nice work. I sure wish you could get some perches in there
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose and the bedraggled look. I am with Gail on going a bit brighter. Your depth-of-field mismatch was a result of using the Clone Stamp from a different latitude. That is one of many reasons that a Quick Mask is a better choice than the Clone Stamp Tool 99% of the time :)

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Jo focus and dof looks just perfect, his wet feathers are beautifully rendered.
    (The spot healing brush or content aware fill also work pretty well on the blade of grass.)