Thread: Spotty

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotty

Attached Images Attached Images

Dear Friends,

Here is a tiny Spotted Hyena cub I was so lucky to observe during my October trip to the Kruger Park. Quite a challenge to photograph those little ones because the light wasn't great at the den.

The clan had quite a few members and among them some youngsters too, they were quite playful and often got in the way - I now have to resort to heavy crops to eliminate paws, whiskers, muzzles and tails interfering with my composition

Spotty here has just finished suckling and seeking shelter near mom, keeping an eye on his sibling who just came out of the den. Head angle not ideal but I quite liked the expression...

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500 F4
    ISO 3200
    F6.3
    1/1250s

Hope you all have a wonderful rest of the week...And many thanks for taking the time to view:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet frame of this little one. Love the tight graphic look and the painterly background is great. Very neat how you can see into the ear. Looks very good for a heavy crop.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice features captured on him, the background is great. Just the angle lets it down, as you indicate in the self-critique.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks John and Greg,

This chappie was so cute, I had to share. Still looking through this folder and finding something from time to time, so there'll be more. Hopefully with better HA and POV

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely detailed good exposure, the glance makes up to a certain extent for the less than ideal head angle.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Jon,

Was hoping that glance would make up for the unfortunate HA

Have a nice evening,
    Gabriela Plesea

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, from your description and light you did set yourself quite a challenge in photographing this wee pup.

If from what everyone says is true on how good the D5 is, then a fraction more SS, but more DoF I think would have helped, shame you needed to crop so tight, could you have used an extender? I do like however the warm colours.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you very much Steve,

So much happened at this sighting! Adult hyenas coming and going, little ones popping up from time to time and rushing back in, a few youngsters trying to play with the cubs. This particular den was close to the road and consisted of a large underground drainage pipe. So we never knew on which side of the road to park, LOL. Tried to get closer to one side but then the "action" changed to the other side. We could not move the vehicle because of the cars that surrounded us, everyone wanted to see what was going on. At some stage two subadult hyenas were playing in-between the vehicles... one started nibbling on my camera support so we had to start the engine to interrupt her.

It was a bit hectic really. I never thought of using an extender because things (proximity to subjects and lighting etc) changed all the time. Love the Kruger Park but find it really difficult sometimes when there are lots of cars at a sighting...BTW some people stopped next to us ( even though we were busy shooting ) and asked what we were looking at

Nevertheless it was a good trip, I think I must just learn to be more patient with people

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, my responses to images tend to be emotional first, rest later. So I really love the expression. Period. By the way, please wait for us till we come up to your level of patience before you move up to next level of patience !!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Shah View Post
    Hi Gabriela, my responses to images tend to be emotional first, rest later. So I really love the expression. Period. By the way, please wait for us till we come up to your level of patience before you move up to next level of patience !!
    Many thanks dear Jay, glad you like the little fella! Talking about patience, hmmm...I am trying...I work with people every day so I think I am rather patient, but when it comes to photography a bit selfish and not too happy to share a sighting. Love the Kruger Park and its amazing wildlife but it's always a challenge, I am used to more remote places

Have a nice week-end
    Gabriela Plesea