Thread: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

Went to Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida early Monday morning. I got a couple quick frames of this Blue-gray Gnatcatcher before it took flight. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 900 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction, removed a blossom and stem that was merging with the head of the bird
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like an awesome image. You have some sort of artifacts (no expert here), maybe from resizing or conversion?

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice one Joe. You work too hard. The wings look a bit sharper than the face

David, where are you seeing the artifacts?

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I see them all over the perch. Very prominent on the upper section bud in particular.

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the simplicity of the image with a nice perch and great background. I also noticed the artifacts (orange-peel) on the perch above the bird. Looks like oversharpening of some OOF noise maybe?
    Otherwise, very nice image.

TFS
    Geoff

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks If you guys are referring to the tiny gray line I think that it might be a very skinny vine. But I do not have a good eye for fine details (and I am serious about that).

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing and commenting, very much appreciated.

David and Geoff, yup, your'e right. I had to go 1:1 to really see what both of your describe. I lowered the amount of sharpening and radius of sharpening until I could not see the, as you say, orange peel effect. Then I applied a little more sharpening to just the bird with the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom. Here is a repost, I think it is better. Thank you for another set of eyes, sometimes mine get a little old.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice perch,pose and excellent background. The top of the perch does look funky. The thin gray line might be a web on the perch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have yet to get a proper image of a BG Gnatcatcher so I envy the opportunity you had. Nice enough perch and a good background. This is held back by overall poor image quality. I am not sure what others are seeing but the head is not tack sharp and the flanks have several over exposed spots. I know I will sound super picky here but branches that are angling away from the bird are not ideal as you get a bunch of branch in the foreground that is out of focus as well as a bunch of stuff in the background as well. It is not far enough back to look pleasing to my eye and just looks messy. Hopefully you get more opportunities with these little guys.

Edit: On my phone the image quality looks a bit better so this may be one of those shots that depending on what screenn you view it on, the quality will vary as well.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 12-06-2018 at 05:50 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Grant View Post
    I have yet to get a proper image of a BG Gnatcatcher so I envy the opportunity you had. Nice enough perch and a good background. This is held back by overall poor image quality. I am not sure what others are seeing but the head is not tack sharp and the flanks have several over exposed spots. I know I will sound super picky here but branches that are angling away from the bird are not ideal as you get a bunch of branch in the foreground that is out of focus as well as a bunch of stuff in the background as well. It is not far enough back to look pleasing to my eye and just looks messy. Hopefully you get more opportunities with these little guys.

Edit: On my phone the image quality looks a bit better so this may be one of those shots that depending on what screenn you view it on, the quality will vary as well.
    Hey Isaac, thank you for viewing and commenting. I have to disagree with your critique. Below is a print screen showing the focus point and image data. The focus point was on the back head and shoulder. The depth of field was 4 inches +/-, certainly enough to get the whole bird in focus. Yes the perch was angled so parts are out of sharp focus, it was early morning with dim light so for a shutter speed of 1/1000 the aperture had to be wide open 5.6. Few times does is a perch square to the sensor/back of the camera and unless the light is bright so that a higher aperture with more depth of field can be used this is the result. The image was exposed to the right to lessen noise in the dim early morning light but nothing was clipped. I checked the RGB values in the areas you say are overexposed, they are not. The RGB values are 249.1, 249.1, 228.9, bright but not clipped or over exposed as measured on my profiled/calibrated Eizo display. I chose to leave it as is. That is artistic license of how I chose to edit the image. Thanks again for viewing and commenting.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 12-06-2018 at 07:23 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe as I said on my 5k Imac the image quality of the head is poor. Not sure what you are seeing.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jo I am sorry but I looked at both images and there is something "wrong" here. Your images are usually far better IQ than this. Is it a large crop, was it under exposed, did you resize it in some way differently, did you apply a different sharpening regime???????? It looks noisy and or oversharpened to me. I wonder if at some point there was an inadvertent change to your usual algorithm?