Thread: arctic ground squirrel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default arctic ground squirrel

Attached Images Attached Images

Arctic ground squirrel near the Tolbachik Volcano in central Kamchatka, August this year.
    400mm, 1/2000, f8, ISO4000.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice alert pose and the environment is very nice. Like the composition and the details look nice.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Greg!

Such a cutie you have here

I like the framing, this is a well balanced image. Pose is superb, nice HA from the subject.

BG is great and I like the bit of vegetation behind the squirrel. You could perhaps pay some attention to the bright spots in the FG, if you like. As well as reduce the blues - although not sure it is a blue cast or maybe this is what those rocks look like?

First time for me to see an Arctic Squirrel I did not even know they existed. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

4. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Gabriela for the comments. I had not thought about the foreground highlights, but can see now I could work on them. The rocks here are young volcanic, dark grey. I can revisit to see if there is blue cast, it was also dull and a bit foggy when I took this, that may contribute.
    Seems a tough place for a squirrel to live - only about 3 months break from the snow each year.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Indeed - a tough environment for those little ones. Amazing how they adapt and survive, wonder how they find food and what they eat...

Was just thinking, I quite like the cold - or rather cool - atmosphere in this image, as it portrays the harsh environment. As well as the sparse vegetation. Hope you have some more images from Kamchatka, with squirrels or other animals:)

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

7. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Greg, nicely framed and I like the fact the subject is small in frame. having a clean backdrop nice separates the subject and I like the small plants peppering the rock. Getting a better WB to start with will help avoid the Blue & Magenta coming through within the colour.

Please remember to add both camera and lens within the techs.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve. I am not always the best with color, but I would note that the colors in the young volcanic regions in Kamchatka are not what you see every day - I think this is reflected in the colors of the rocks.