Thread: Lion - enters stage right

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion - enters stage right

Attached Images Attached Images

Caught a little off guard with this one (especially techs for me), when this male decided to suddenly get up and then promptly fall on top of the other male. The pride had been quietly sleeping when we found them, as that night they had made a kill and were slowly digesting the kill in the dried up channel.

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Lion (Panthera leo) early morning
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/5.6 ISO640
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful colours and rendition, I like the raised knee and the bright eye............. but I cannot help but feel there should have been a bit more lion in the frame

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Count me out on this one. I almost never like sidelight. I am with Jon on the framing. And the grasses on the chin are distracting.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the light and the vertical comp. Wish it was just a head shot. Easier said than done. Details look great.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, the colours, the details are superb, agree a bit more lion would have been nice. Vertical comp kinda works here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Very nice details and I liked the lighting as well. Agree with the others reg a bit more lion in the frame . Also the grass in front of the snout is not helping either IMO.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image works for me. It is certainly differant and a fresh perspective is always so welcome in wildife photography. The raised paw provides some nice perspective and the sharp eye creates a proper focal point. I am not sure that more lion would add anything to what this image seems to be trying to achieve. I dont mind the grasses as for me they add to the feeling of 'this lion is actually walking past me' i get from the image