Thread: A Reminder for All: Please Read

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Reminder for All: Please Read

Attached Images Attached Images

This oldie was created back on April 25, 2009 at the Ramirez Ranch in Roma, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. I set up the perch and created the entire feeder set-up myself.

Recently, too many folks here -- including both members and Mods -- are posting images that have been attracted into photographic range with food, water or audio onto perches that they chose and put in place and failing to disclose that in Pane #1 with the posted image.

From the BPN Guidelines here:

#21: Please include technical data, such as, but not limited to, camera settings, time of day, weather conditions and location. If your subject is captive, please disclose that fact. If you have attracted your subject or subjects into photographic range with food, water, audio, or by any other means, please let us know. If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you disclose that as well. This information will benefit all members and add to the educational value of each post.

Please do not assume that it will be obvious as to whether an image was made at a feeder set-up or a water feature. Though experienced photographers will often know that that was the case, many new photographers can be confused. I remember thinking when I was just starting out "Can the guy really be that lucky to have these birds land on these perfect perches with perfect distant backgrounds every time? Of course on occasion a bird will land in such situations, but often times it is impossible to know for sure. I am pretty sure that I was the first to actively campaign for what I refer to as Truth in Posting.

Please remember to note in Pane 1 if your image was made at some sort of set-up.

thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Kamal Hari Menon thanked for this post