Thread: A Reminder for All: Please Read

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Reminder for All: Please Read

Attached Images Attached Images

This oldie was created back on April 25, 2009 at the Ramirez Ranch in Roma, Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. I set up the perch and created the entire feeder set-up myself.

Recently, too many folks here -- including both members and Mods -- are posting images that have been attracted into photographic range with food, water or audio onto perches that they chose and put in place and failing to disclose that in Pane #1 with the posted image.

From the BPN Guidelines here:

#21: Please include technical data, such as, but not limited to, camera settings, time of day, weather conditions and location. If your subject is captive, please disclose that fact. If you have attracted your subject or subjects into photographic range with food, water, audio, or by any other means, please let us know. If you have significantly altered your image by adding or removing elements of the composition, we ask that you disclose that as well. This information will benefit all members and add to the educational value of each post.

Please do not assume that it will be obvious as to whether an image was made at a feeder set-up or a water feature. Though experienced photographers will often know that that was the case, many new photographers can be confused. I remember thinking when I was just starting out "Can the guy really be that lucky to have these birds land on these perfect perches with perfect distant backgrounds every time? Of course on occasion a bird will land in such situations, but often times it is impossible to know for sure. I am pretty sure that I was the first to actively campaign for what I refer to as Truth in Posting.

Please remember to note in Pane 1 if your image was made at some sort of set-up.

thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Kamal Hari Menon thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the shot and the pose is interesting. I would be inclined to investigate the contrast, for me the dark feathers are in part very dense and the bright feathers I am sure could be persuaded to reveal more detail with a luminosity adjustment.
    I would love to have a go at the raw file Artie.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guilty . I agree Artie and think honesty is the best policy. There is a serious art to attracting birds and a reason people pay so much to go to ranches in Texas or lodges in the tropics to photograph certain birds that would otherwise be **** near impossible. On my Pine Siskin shot (which was the only shot I have ever posted at a feeder set up so did not even think about writing it and then was rushed off the computer by my wife!) my friend who had many goldfinches, siskins and Purple Finches coming to his feeders called me. He lives directly across the street from the botanical gardens on Staten Island. The flocks were coming and going from the garden so we went over to see if were others there. When in the garden they were cutting down all of the annuals and preparing for Christmas decorations. So I asked if I could take some of the stuff they cut down down which they were fine with. I have been working on techniques for this type of photography (meaning set ups) as certain birds are just so difficult otherwise to get quality shots of. And used this time to fine tune some stuff. It took 4 days of shooting to walk away with a bunch of quality shots. Many natural near his existing feeders and many set ups. His house is beautiful with a large garden and was filled with amazing backgrounds which really presented just perfect opportunities. I will say that getting quality results , even in these types of situations is super difficult.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    I like the shot and the pose is interesting. I would be inclined to investigate the contrast, for me the dark feathers are in part very dense and the bright feathers I am sure could be persuaded to reveal more detail with a luminosity adjustment. I would love to have a go at the raw file Artie.
    Thanks John. This image was processed nine years ago. I am sure that I (and you) could do a lot better today :)

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No worries Isaac. I decide to post my thoughts as I am getting tired of asking folks :) Everyone needs to get in the habit of including such info in Pane #1 of their posts :)

I am quite confused by this sentence: Many natural near his existing feeders and many set ups.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

He has a large yard with an extensive feeder set up. It is why the birds were coming from the botanical garden to his house. So I have many photos of the birds just landed on perches from around his garden. Also some of them landed on the flowers that I set up for them. Hope that clears it up.

And you are right. Best to mention in pane #1 and I have seen you ask the question many times. I will make sure i include it when I post other shots.

Side note that even in “controlled” environments it is amazing how difficult it is to get birds to go where you want them to!
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-23-2018 at 01:23 PM.

8. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Guilty as charged. I forget to mention the feeder set up. Have been doing okay lately. Also what is Pane 1?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie, I agree 100%. I only take pictures of birds as I come upon them or wait patiently in an area they frequent.
    I'm not so much against people that bait birds or provide perches etc., it's just when they are presented as something different.

Thanks -Tim

11. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Mack View Post
    Guilty as charged. I forget to mention the feeder set up. Have been doing okay lately. Also what is Pane 1?
    Pane #1 is the original posting with the image. You can see the pane #s on the right side of each post or comment. You question was in Pane #7.

a

13. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Foltz View Post
    Artie, I agree 100%. I only take pictures of birds as I come upon them or wait patiently in an area they frequent.
    I'm not so much against people that bait birds or provide perches etc., it's just when they are presented as something different.

Thanks -Tim
    Hi Tim, I agree with you 100%. Though I rarely use audio and have not worked at a feeder set-up for years, I have zero problems with folks who do so regularly.

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great calling pose on this Texas specialty! I always forget to mention set-up stuff, particularly in the tropics where nearly everything is a set-up!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian Anderson View Post
    Great calling pose on this Texas specialty! I always forget to mention set-up stuff, particularly in the tropics where nearly everything is a set-up!
    Thanks Dorian. Please do :)

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool Artie, nice setup. I yet have to do a setup that is successful.

Funny how this image looks a bit lacking in fine details today as I view it on my 32" monitor, back in 2009 when cameras had maybe 10-15 mega pixels at most we would all be drooling over this viewing on our crunchy small monitors...just shows how far we have come, now you need to take that again with your D850!
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

18. Thanks Steve Zehner thanked for this post