Thread: JAW POWER !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default JAW POWER !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone .

Was lucky to see the African painted dogs on my recent trip and they are extremely active and beautiful. They had taken down an impala and were feasting like it was a mad rush, within minutes the kill was nowhere to be seen .

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2018 ( v20), WB, levels, dehaze, HSL, selective colour, sharpening , lowered the contrast.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm f4 @ 394mm, bean bag.

ss 1/800, f/8, iso 800

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Haseeb.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image and the details is well defined. I have some slight reservation over colours, I am not sure what it is but I like the contrast and detail in the dark coat. Looking at the processing you outline I cannot help but feel you are really bashing the pixels, I would be tempted to do more in raw and less in PS, I think the quality would be even better.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, what a great encounter and only a few get to witness, partly as you say, it's over in minutes, but also a WD kill can be rather harrowing for those who may not have seen a kill before, let alone one like this. Your perspective is great, folk often leave it to the guide, but why, providing the request to move is not encroaching or aggressive then why not get the best vantage point. Having the two Dogs vying for the left overs is great, good behavioural capture and the OOF dog in the BKG isn't an issue for me. Yes, could have had a bit more SS, but as presented it appears sharp and the right DoF too. Good to have the eyes visible, not often achievable.

Not sure if this helps, but opened the Blacks & Contrast up a fraction, Exp +0.20, and tweaked the colours in Colour balance and Greens in a Sat adjustment. Your OP looks a bit Yellow?

A cracking image, I would be well pleased with this Haseeb, hope your Save for web is working well too?

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like both versions but for the somewhat harsh light. Love the dog on our left biting the face.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

7. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What an amazing encounter Haseeb! I love the action, the framing and the aggression & intent shown here. Am glad you got this one! Well done!!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I liked the colours in Steve's RP and yes the save for web issue is not a problem anymore.

But this was indeed a special sighting , something I would cherish my whole life.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

yes the save for web issue is not a problem anymore.
    Great news Haseeb, keep it that way and if you need more help let me know.

But this was indeed a special sighting , something I would cherish my whole life.
    Without a doubt Haseeb, glad you got to see it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, what remains to be said after such high praise from Steve and Artie. Very happy for you. Steve's version makes areas around eyes more visible. I like that.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Amazing sighting and wonderful capture, Haseeb. Great timing! Having witnessed a WD kill ( just once) I realise how fast they are and how quick everything happens.

I especially like the POV here, and despite the relative low SS the main subjects ( as well as the victim) look sharp to me. Indeed this is such a rare sighting, and am glad you managed to capture it so well - lovely work in the field!

Thank you so much for sharing

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela and Jay .