Thank You Posts

Default Reindeer

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D4
    Tokina f/2.8, 16-28mm @ 28mm
    f/16
    1/1000
    ISO 800

I managed to capture this Reindeer on Cairngorm at the weekend. They are free roaming deer and wander around the Cairngorm mountain range. They are friendly, and I managed to get close to this one, and managed lots of shots. On my last trip to the Reindeer I used my 500mm lens. This time I took the WA(thanks Steve). This is the first time I have used this type of lens for wildlife, so all was new to me, hope you like it.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great frame. Love everything about this one. Must be very tame to allow this. Very neat with the reindeer right in your face and the environment behind it.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This time I took the WA(thanks Steve)
    Hi Will, glad you remembered, it's made a huge difference to the capture, as folk often just never think that they have the option to change or more importantly think ahead. Then the subject gets too close, they runout of lens, big in frame and the shooting angle is too steep.

Nice to have more environment and a lovely blue sky, looks like a cracking day. The subject was close I guess based on the lens and so good choice on upping the DoF many would have left it I think at f/8. I like the slight head turn where that eye comes into play, good detail and nice texture in the coat. The rear leg is a bit unfortunate and I might loose a tad off the LHS to pull the subject more off centre. Unless you had a CPL on the blue sky looks a bit strong (might adjust in Curves) and open the FG up a fraction. Personally I would eliminate the small pond in the BKG.

Overall nice work Will, lets see more. I hope you have not traded in your 1DX and have just added the 5D to the kit bag, if so, good call, but just check the calibration and I say it for good reason, but you might be the lucky one.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that Steve, much appreciated. Yes, I remembered the last time I went up the A9, you texted asking if I had the WA with me. I didn't, and used the 500 on the Reindeer. That is when I realised, Steve's advice was correct It was a lovely weekend, the weather was cold but bright, no cloud. The sun was behind me here, just above the Cairngorm peak.... I hear what you are saying about the small pond, and thought about it, I decided to leave, as it reflected the sky colour. I kept the 1DX The 5D4 I like, but only on slow targets, although I did get some nice Mallard at sunset in flight. The calibration seems to be ok. This is the first time I have used it, and I captured some Crested Tit, deep in Rothiemurchus forest @ ISO 3200 which I was happy with. I hope I am the lucky one

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always nice when wide-angle wildlife works out, this shows of the size of the habitat well, as well as the great detail on the reindeer.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That is a real belter Will, love the wide angle. The coat is beautifully rendered (just like one we have in the dining room!!)
    The only suggestion I have for you to consider is to make a selection of the distant hills and reduce the blues, it just cleans them up a little.
    I'm lovin' the 5D4 but when I use the 1DX I still get blown away by it's build, handling and performance, 8/10 the 1DX just does it, not so with 5DIV but I do like the bigger files.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

5DIV but I do like the bigger files
    Bigger files doesn't mean better images Jon.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Bigger files doesn't mean better images Jon.
    Oh but it can! Not always, I won't go off posted topic, but it can, the 5D IV sensor was, maybe still is the highest DXO Labs rated Canon sensor. Just depends on circumstance.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William -- A stunning frame , well executed and I loved the colours and settings here. Nice suggestion for cropping a bit from the lhs, too centered for my liking as well. I liked that waterbody in the bkg.

VEry nice details and great choice on DOF , very nicely done. Loved it.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated

Will

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Will,
    I am very late here and just about everything has been covered, just wanted to say this is one of the loveliest Reindeer images I have seen - congratulations

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank You Gabriella, very much appreciated

Will

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post