Thread: Sundown flight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Sundown flight

Attached Images Attached Images

Victoraville doesn't have Bosque's mountain backgrounds, but the sky often delivers some great colours in the later hours. This is one of about 20,000 snow geese that stay there on any given day in October or November! Does anyone know why some of them have the orange feathers on the heads? I assumed at first that it means it's a moulting juvenile but what I find on the internet doesn't bear that out.

I cropped to 16x9 ratio in Photoshop and raised the curve just a bit, along with a slight brightening of the bird's head and neck.

5D mk IV, 500mm f/4 IS, 1.4x TC III, tripod mounted
    1/3200 @ f/7.1, ISO 1000

Thanks as always for your C&C
    Jake

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Lovely colorful BG Jake, and nice wing position. I did a quick search regarding the "orange" feathers on the head and the internet provided this excerpt: (https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/f...0414-p0414.pdf)
    rusty color (generally a shadeof orange or orange brown) of some of the feathers which are normally white isfrequently found in individual Snow Geese (Chen hyperborea), Blue Geese (Chencaerulescens) and Ross's Geese (Chen rossii), particularly on the head, as well as inswans of various species. It is generally believed that this color is due to a depositionof iron oxides on the feathers assumed to take place when birds feed in watercontaining these salts in solution rather than to true feather pigmentation.

3. Thanks Krishna Prasad kotti thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the back ground colors and no shadows on the bird.

Looking at this post I remembered Bosque..
    Thanks for sharing this image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Near wing position great. Far wing position not so much. Lovely light and clouds. And yes, the orange is stains that they get when feeding.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.