Camera Model Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Shooting Mode Manual Exposure
    Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/500
    Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
    Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
    ISO Speed 3200
    Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
    Focal Length 400.0mm
    Taken early morning on a wet day in the Shingwedzi region Kruger Park.

I processed this differently to my usual regime, I applied some NR at the raw stage but none in PSCC. I am curious to see what you think.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose on the jackal like how both ears are pointing forward here. The setting is nice as well. Looks good for the low light and ISO 3200.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is nice Jon, I like the subject being parallel and the head turn and eye contact is super. Details look good. Only wish for a slight more room below.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, was it raining, as the coat looks a bit bedraggled and looks like some streaks in the BKG?

Overall the framing looks OK, but agree with Sanjeev that just dropping the frame a tad more would have been better. The Blacks & perhaps some Contrast looks slightly heavy, creating some dominating elements in the BKG, I feel you could just up the exposure but not a much as a third of a stop. If you have used some Luminance then I might pull that back, it's a bit strong I feel in key parts of the fur and choking some of the fine detail in the fur. Not sure how much NR or how you may have applied it, but I also feel you could add a tad more. The red leaves near the tail draw my eyes, but I know where you are going here Jon.

Jon I'm thinking more overcast & flat, but just my take, also took a tad of Blue & Magenta out via Col Balance

Think what might have been if shot with the new body...

TFS
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much everyone, I wasn't entirely happy with the colour balance, I kept tweaking more red less blue and going round in circles, I must confess not entirely happy, I was expecting a bit of a caning!
    The image you present Steve is like the original TIF, it looks a bit flat to me.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was expecting a bit of a caning!
    I think 'six of the best' might be a bit strong Jon but you now have a 'guide' in direction I think, albeit not from the RP.

The image you present Steve is like the original TIF, it looks a bit flat to me.
    Not being there I had to take a direction right or wrong, but this wasn't intended to be a final end product Jon, but like all RP's just a suggestion.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really interesting conversation on the techs. Nevertheless its a lovely image taken in a beautiful area that somehow portrays a litte of these little Jackals personalities (imho)
    PS - Great angle