Thread: Golden oldie - Tiger

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Golden oldie - Tiger

Attached Images Attached Images

I’ve been meaning to post a few of these ‘Golden Oldie’ images, partially because I love Tigers, and also having to explain why I press on good techs, but also having read an article recently by a well known and distinguished UK Wildlife photographer, a sentence really resonated with me and perhaps even with some of you, especially in the early days of my own PP. I’m aware perhaps this is going a little ‘Off topic’, but I just wanted to share things based on some recent exchanges with some of you folk here in the Wildlife Forum.

This is the line of text that as I said, really resonated so much with me, but to clarify it refers to a Gannet image and not this Tiger posting:

'This is an image that I have just ‘found’, not because I never knew that it existed but because, like so much of my earlier digital work it hadn’t so much been processed as bludgeoned into submission. It was too dark, too yellow, the processing was at best ham-fisted and whilst this sensitive image was always there I hadnever ‘seen’ it - author AP.

And so, this is partly why I stress on good techs - with good techs in the first place:

1. Files are easier to process and you have the best IQ. So think ETTR, achieve the correct DoF and have a fast SS, a soft image is for the bin.
    2. With good techs you can create stunning images without necessarily having the need for the best kit
    3. If the file & techs are good, you can reprocess an image years later with improvements in both Software and with your own increased learning curve, and most likely will see how good the
    image was originally as per the above quote, as I too was clouded through poor judgement and a working knowledge originally in PP. Having now reworked it, I was amazed just how much I
    had originally lost and how much was still left to extract within the initial raw.

So never under estimate you images you capture, providing they are well exposed the techs are right, there is always room for improvement a few years on with increased knowledge and often we can be surprised in what we have shot, however the cornerstone for me is always - having good techs.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Tiger (Panthera tigris)
    Camera: Canon 1D MKIII (10M px way less that most who post now)
    Lens: 300f/2.8 MKI with a 2x MKII resting on a bean bag
    Exposure: 1/200s at f/11 ISO400
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, this is a classy image of the Tiger, magnificent animal with amazing eye contact and good detail despite the techs. Your point is well taken about having good techs and a good file to start with. And this highlights it so well. It has an almost film like effect with very good composition. Tigers are special!!! Sad to have lost 3 in just the last few days, one shot down and another 2 killed on a railway track while crossing. Big loss for all of us who care about them.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of this tiger. Looks quite relaxed. Watched a photography talk show where they talked about this very thing the other day.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- point well taken. A technically good image is the best to process and also understanding PP helps in doing better on the field , so i feel both interlinked.

Coming to the image, it is a stunning frame with exceptional details and IQ, shows how valid your point is. I too will look into the archives of any such frame and post here on BPN. NIcely done and TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Watched a photography talk show where they talked about this very thing the other day.
    Which part John?

Thanks Sanjeev.

I too will look into the archives of any such frame and post here on BPN.
    Haseeb, if the capture is 'technically' right, this is when, at a later stage revisiting it with new found knowledge works and often you can be very pleasantly surprised. I look back in horror at some images, partly down to available software and kit limitations, but mainly in my own PP skills, but PP is a constantly evolving process. If you don't change or move on, then images often do suffer, but the capture is just as important as PP, the two work hand in hand and each needs each other to deliver your hard work.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve well said. And just that you know, we all appreciate how your comments are helping us get better results behind the camera and the computer. I am also realizing so many possibilities with long lens that I used to avoid as I could not fit the subject in the frame.