Thread: Tiger Family !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tiger Family !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone. Thank you for your comments and suggestions to my previous post, much appreciated .Sorry, for not posting it frequently these days , it has been a lot of traveling, related to work . Hopefully I will find some time from now. Here is an image of a tiger family, for which we spent nearly 4 months to finally sight them. A very low light shot but 1DX comes to the rescue in such situations . Not easy to see small cubs all gathered with the mom. Would like to here your opinion on the same .DPP 4.8, PSCC v 20, WB, dehaze, curves, exp +, HSL, selective colour, levels, NR and sharpening, cloned out a few twigs , especially the one running across mom's right eye ( just above it ). Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 500mm f4 IS II, Bean Bag.ss 1/1000, f/4.0, iso 10,000Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow...Amazing interaction you have captured here. I can only dream of one day getting to shoot these majestic animals.
    Very nice shooting angle. Colors look good and I like the eye contact you got from the cub. Very nice

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful interaction with the family, and a good reward for the moths spent in the field. Amazing the IQ we can get at these ISOs nowadays. To me it looks like the WB is slightly off, although this may be accurate with the conditions. I also think another round of sharpening may help, particularly on the front cubs face, as an idea what do you think?

Name:  Madhuriandcubs2-BPN-rp.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  569.9 KB

Mike

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, albeit a high ISO, shooting wide open I don't think has helped, image lacks sharpness, detail and form. By all means pop the RAW over, but I'm hesitant that the Cr2 is poor.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, super cute photo of the tigers. The little one is adorable. Decent detail for the high ISO and comp is fine.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image doesn't have much noise in it even at ISO 10,000. But it does look soft.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, thank you for the raw, however it has confirmed my initial thoughts.

1. The image is not sharp
    2. The shallow DoF has limited what might have been sharp within the group
    3. Cases - some folk choose to forget this setting, mistake and probably because they are unclear what it does or serves, but you have both break & accelerator on here, you need to understand what the first two do. Personally I never found auto point point useful, but your choice of Case would have been better if it was set too that Case, albeit still not ideal.
    4. Rather than using a FP on the edge of the centre I would have left in spot on in the centre and placed the framing where you had it.
    5. Looking at the Histogram I don't think you were taking full advantage of ETTR, OK it would again cost you more ISO, but I think the IQ could have been improved

Haseeb, this would have been a lovely encounter and awesome to see cubs, but I just think honing some of the settings will really help you. I think you did extremely well on removing some of the annoying branches, especially over Mum.

9. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions .

@ Mike -- I like what you did in your RP and I like the colours in both OP and RP. As far as sharpening is concerned, I was reluctant to opt for another round of sharpening as it makes the subject a bit contrasty since the original capture is a bit soft.

@ Steve: point 1 and 3 - I have to get the understanding for the cases , and you are right I am particularly still unclear reg the case settings. Image has to come out sharp but I feel the high ISO also makes it difficult in achieving the requisite sharpness.

point 2 - the main concern was ss hence shot wide open to get as much ss as possible.
    point 4 - i think it is an error caused because of excitement and lack of time in hand.
    point 5 - again wanted to get as much ss as possible hence avoided going ETTR, but definitely something to keep in mind for the next time.

These sightings come hardly once in a lifetime for someone like me who are not all the time on field. So even if there are some flaws in the image, I still would prefer to keep this with me. But it obviously doesn't mean that I should not improve my field craft.

Surely now I have to master the case settings.

And removing the branches was a bit challenging used two frames from the sequence to get the job done.

Thank you once again.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, just sent you some info in updating your camera settings, but learn to shoot Manual.

Image has to come out sharp but I feel the high ISO also makes it difficult in achieving the requisite sharpness.
    ISO will make a difference, no denying an image shot at ISO100 will be better than ISO10k, but as Andreas and I have illustrated many time with the same kit as you have, if the image is well exposed you can shoot higher with better results, I will send you an image later at 16K.

point 2 - the main concern was ss hence shot wide open to get as much ss as possible.
    Push the ISO higher, change DoF to say f/7.1 and say +1 stop

point 4 - i think it is an error caused because of excitement and lack of time in hand.
    Been there and agree, but just take time to review once you get some images in the bag

point 5 - again wanted to get as much ss as possible hence avoided going ETTR, but definitely something to keep in mind for the next time.
    It's bit you in the bottom Haseeb , what happens when you lighten an image, you will amplify the noise in the shadows, correct Exposure all good

These sightings come hardly once in a lifetime for someone like me who are not all the time on field. So even if there are some flaws in the image, I still would prefer to keep this with me. But it obviously doesn't mean that I should not improve my field craft.
    Yep, agree

Surely now I have to master the case settings.
    Tracking is it moving L to R or towards you, how quickly do you and the lens need to react, is the subject a constant movement or fast/erratic? The camera is trying to guess with predictive AF, so from where it took the last frame where is it going to be for the next?

12. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post