Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 600mm f/4L IS II -- hand held
    5D Mark IV
    f11
    1/1600
    iso 1600

Sea Lion Island
    Falkland Is 2016
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-14-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, what a first post. It is sharp with plenty of d-o-f. I love the soft light and the chick is beyond cute. two perfect head angles, a wonderful chick on the back pose, and the water is great too. The only thing that bugs me is the bit dark reflection on the bottom frame edge near the center.

with love, artie

ps; welcome to BPN and thanks for your membership support.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 11-14-2018 at 06:23 PM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the painterly water. Nice view of the chick. Love that red eye. Nice one.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard Anita! Endearing image and what a beautiful species. I like your POV and the head angles on both parent and chick, well done. Maybe a bit more sharpening and another round of noise reduction on the water... That eye does it for me every time!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Anita, glad you finally got round to posting! Looking forward to seeing some gannets!

Only looking on a works screen so won't go into technical details but the pose is lovely and the subject is great. Just wanted to chime in to say 'welcome'.

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Anita, glad that you finally decided to start posting, you are very famous on Artie's blog and I met you once at Fort DeSoto. Ditto the previous comments. Please keep them coming. TFS.
    Last edited by Juan Tolentino; 11-15-2018 at 09:21 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Anita. Beautiful image of a species that I have never seen but have seen plenty of pictures of. This is what wildlife photography is all about. Capturing a beautiful moment, not just making an image. As for the image I think the colors and tone are a bit thin. In selective color I would select the neutrals and add somewhere between 10-15 points of black, then I would increase the saturation of the bird maybe + 10 (seems like a lot but as it is mostly a tones of gray and white bird it isn't ) to bring out more of the beautiful rusty tones of the head. Doing this will really make the bird come to life and help separate it from the background as well. Also below the bill a few inches there is a tuft of feathers sticking out. Under that tuft there are 2 blue dots/marks that look out of place. Not sure if you did some cloning there or what, but I would address that area. Really looking forward to more from you.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 11-15-2018 at 10:45 AM.