Thread: Egret

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Egret

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all. This was taken at Tinchi Tamba wetlands, Brisbane. 7Dii 100-400 lens at 263mm, 1/3200th sec iso400, f5.6 in AV mode.
    Cheers.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Perfect EXP and you handled the shadows well. I like the unique position and BG as well. Wish for a little more on the bottom. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and the cool colors. This is one of those almost, but not quite there shots for me. The heavy shadows on the bird are not ideal. I would prefer the wings to be raised more as well. Looks like you have a sharpening type halo around the bird, especially the front of the rear wing and around the head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sharp. Isaac's shadows are caused by working well off light angle ... Neat comparing this bird with our Great Egret.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat looking egret. Like the flight pose. Wish the bird was a little higher in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Isaac: The halo is due to my poor cloning of a lighter band of colour that ran through the frame at midpoint...I wanted to even out the blue colour. I'll re-edit this one. Cheers.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul it is vital that you make a proper selection on your bird and work with layers so that you can do these kinds of edits and not have halos. Processing is equally as important as making the photo in the field. Not trying to spend your money but i think you should pick up some of Arties excellent and thorough processing guides that cover this kind of stuff. I have some of them and learned a great deal from them and ise many of the things that I learned on images I post jere, including the bunting that Inposted today. It is a tiny fraction of the cost of gear but makes a huge impact on final presentation. Often times more of an impact than the gear that we spend thousands or tens of thousands on. If a file is not processed correcty you can easily ruin it. Processing is something I work on all the time. Always trying to learn new methods and tools that I can use to make the photos that we work so hard for in the field look their very best.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Isaac...good advice.