Thread: Mom is back!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mom is back!

Attached Images Attached Images

Sub adults are showing clear sign of relief and excitement on Mom's return after more than 20 minutes of unsuccessful chase. This time I have done minimal PP. IQ is what it is at this ISO with D500 +Tamron combo in a low light.

Nikon D500, Tamron 70-200 mm f2.8
    f4.5, 1/2000 s, ISO 5600

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Jay,

What lovely sighting and such wonderful pose from those playful cheetah cubs. Must be hard for mom to feed all those hungry mouths...but I am certain she does a great job looking after them!

This is a well composed image and the content is superb, sadly the gear let you down a bit, the D500 struggles at high ISO. I still like this a lot, so much to look at, there's a cheerfulness and playfulness here from those little ones that engages the viewer tremendously - well captured and great timing!

You mention minimal PP. Wondering whether you use Lightroom as well as PSCC? Thinking you could spend a bit more time on this image, you could perhaps improve a couple of things - it's really worth it! I would go back to Lightroom and Enable Profile Correction. I would also try achieve a better/more natural looking WB and desaturate the blue (HSL/Colour). In "Profile" choose "camera flat". If this option is not available then choose "camera neutral". Not sure how much you cropped but if possible try crop less. Take care with contrast and clarity, they can make your image appear more crunchy. In PSCC apply a simple linear curve - selectively, on the subjects only. Add a tad of vibrance if you like. Of course there is much more you can do and I have no idea of your level of knowledge in terms of PP work, but I too like to keep things simple

I took great pleasure viewing your two cheetah images, techs look good and I think the subjects are sharp enough. Such lovely scene, thank you for sharing Jay

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay...Amazing sighting and great interaction.
    Colours are unfortunately off. Cheetahs are too light. There is a lot of noise in the image which I don't think is an issue with the camera and lens but with PP. Im sure you could get rid of it with some PP. The eyes look like they have been dodged quite a lot making them look artificial lightened.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice how you can see all the faces very well. The images looks pretty good to me.

5. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gabriela, many thanks for your kind words. I am going to try what you have suggested. I also will reduce cropping which may also help.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dumay, thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, there is noise in the original image and I had to decide between loss of details and NR. I dont think I introduced further noise in PP as I did not do any PP work on the luminosity. Yes I did dodge eyes so may be some moderation needed as you pointed out.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, I think there is an issue with the NR, it may be possible to get a better appearance of the faces, if you wish I could have a look see at the raw file, I think you have my email address.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, I have sent RAW file to Gabriela to show by example suggestions he made. Happy to send you too the RAW file so I will have two good examples of what can be done with the image. I checked could not find your email address.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really good that you captured 5 good HA's. Definitely worth reworking the RAW. I really like this one, well done Jay.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Its a stunning scene that is definately worth taking the time to get the best out of. I agree that the eyes are definately overdone

12. Thanks Jay Shah thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jay, thanks for sending the image. I adopted a gently does it approach. I didn't sharpen too much and I didn't crop so much, I warmed it a little to get that African sunshine. I will PM you.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon this looks good, it is warmer than the version I sent to Jay but very similar in terms of crop and "gentle approach"
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay -- This is a wonderful sighting , i loved the moment here. Agree with the above regarding the PP. Jon's RP looks quite good . I think you have been pretty luck with the cheetahs.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan, Many thanks for PP this image. I certainly like this much better. Thanks also for detailed notes on PP in PM. Will follow.

As Gabriela indicated, he also got similar results. He did not use NR, so image looks tad sharper. But warm temp here really works here and as it was quite early morning, so may be representative ( I dont remember as I was too excited and focussed on capturing the image. My driver was a super nice guy but inexperienced, so I also had to advise him constntly on where and how to position the vehicle).

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Will, Basil and Haseeb for the kind words. Thanks to help from Gabriela and Jon, I should be able to achieve similar results. I am on family vacation for the next week, so will have to wait till I return before I can work on the image.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, I think getting to grasp with some of the basics within the Raw conversion is really going to put you in a better position, however it all depends on the original capture too. I like what Jon has done and brings life into the image. The OP is too cool, grainy and lacks life and vibrance Jon has created. I know you were struggling with this lens, but if you are planning some 'key' locations then if budget allows I would look to thinking about a better lens selection otherwise the trips may become frustrating and not deliver the images you wanted with all the hard work.

TFS
    Steve