Thank You Posts

Default Red Kite - A Different Flight Pose

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX
    f/4 500mm
    f/5.6
    1/2000
    ISO 1250

This is another frame from my time with the Red Kites at a feeding station in Scotland. I liked the 'different' flight pose on this one.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Will, i'm with you, I like this dynamic flight pose you skillfully captured, WOW! The eyes are intense and glad we see both of them. Killer BG with loads of details and SH, top notch work Will. The fanned tail is amazing by the looks of the width of it, I noticed how it extends past the curled wing. Just curious about the feeding station Will, would you share a bit about it? Was this a day shoot for you or do you frequent often? What do they feed the kites? Also, are the migratory? Thanks, Ann

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, thanks for that.. Red kites were extinct in Scotland, and during the 80's they reintroduced them. There are two farms which have been feeding these birds on a daily basis since they were reintroduced. They have a large table where they place lots of red meat, usually venison, same time every day. The Kites have obviously caught on to this as they float around in the area, then dive down onto the table and pick up the food. Photographers stand on a balcony which gives a great POV. The last time I was there over 40 birds appeared. This feeding frenzy last for nearly an hour. The feeding station is marshalled by members of the RSPB. I go there on a regular basis as it isn't too far from my hometown. They are non migratory, so they are there everyday, 365 days a year. Not a bad days photoshoot for £5.00.

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Thanks Will for the info, and so happy folks have worked to grow more Kites... Lucky you Will, what a fabulous way to spend a day everyday! As soon as I fuel up my jet I'll be over, hahaha...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty neat pose here also like that green background. Nice and sharp.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah the pose is great, but the eyes are the real winner here. Lack of shadows is also nice. Looks like a pretty sweet place to shoot.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William. Ditto all the previous comments. This is a cracking shot! Nothing like that here in Queensland (that I'm aware of)...I'm jealous!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the wicked pose, the eyes, and the two slivers of the tail that are visible. A winner for sure.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for that guys, much appreciated.

Will