Thread: Tasty

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tasty

Attached Images Attached Images

I deliberately want this shot to keep focus purely on the head and let everything else drift off so the focus is on the action, eating, otherwise to me it's wasted DoF & ISO.

Again, shooting lying flat on the ground to retain the low perspective I wanted and to avoid casting any shadows. This was shortly after the family headed off to find food, they are so quick in searching for their quarry, but if they stay and dig for more than say 10 seconds, you know they are onto something, so retain a fast SS is paramount and ensure you have set the right Case too, to help gain the capture and FP bang on that eye. Not using the 'Cases' the camera has in-built, is just lessening your chance of success, they are there to help.

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Meerkat (Suricata suricatta) eating
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4.5 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/5.6 ISO400
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2019

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Blissfully sharp where you want it to be and the image portrays the species perfectly. That oof foregraound is a bit distracting imho however i realize you were lying down. Could you not perhaps crop a sliver more of it out?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Blissfully sharp
    Calibration of kit, right SS and putting in the time to learn about sharpening images - the right way . I'm constantly changing may Workflow Basil and adding or subtracting elements and incorporating new techniques, nothing stays still for too long.

Could you not perhaps crop a sliver more of
    I could do Basil, but it won't make much difference, moving to the right would have lost the angle, the only way would have been to be slightly higher.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is too cute, Steve Judging by the grimace on its face I would assume this Meerkat was munching on a scorpion, LOL. Love the pose and especially the upturned nose and visible teeth. They are sharp like little razors, BTW.

Well exposed and composed and the colours are awesome. Nice clean BG. POV is great. It certainly paid off, lying on the ground

I am so glad you had such opportunities while visiting SA. And I know you have quite a few images of Meerkats... so looking forward to see more!

Thank you so much for sharing Steve, a pleasure to view as always!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice colours and detail. Those teeth are so sharp. Head is nice and sharp. Like I say DOF is a personal thing. If you like it this way that's great.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like I say DOF is a personal thing. If you like it this way that's great.
    What would you change there?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Overall color palette is nice on this one, as is the shallow depth of field.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice low angle and nice light. Like the out of focus foreground. Looks like it is trying to throw up a hairball. Nice view of those teeth.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, it is really instructive how much thinking you are doing lying on your stomach. Your commentary on your own images and critiques of others has helpmed to think more in the field. So thank you for that.

Love the color palette, clean, uncluttered composition and details and the expression. Another great image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I wouldn't change anything...Whether you have more DOF or present it the way it is. Its a lovely image either way. Thats why I say it's a matter of preference.
    Some people may say more DOF is needed (No one in this thread) but is that because you said that was was you were going for? So maybe that's why no one is asking for more DOF.
    But how would not going for more DOF harm the image? The BG was far enough away to keep the bokeh. Foreground is close enough away for the same reasons.....So the point I'm making is it would work either way.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, it is really instructive how much thinking you are doing lying on your stomach. Your commentary on your own images and critiques of others has helpmed to think more in the field. So thank you for that.
    Thank you Jay, much appreciated. I've been kicking around a posting I will hopefully make before the end of the month, which hopefully may answer a comment that was made last year, but also a more deeper/reflective note too!

Thanks Dumay for clarifying, it's a great help in understanding the comment.

So the point I'm making is it would work either way.
    Indeed, I totally agree. If I wanted more then I might have gone to f/10, but all it would do is bring the fur into focus, then perhaps it might lessen the focus on the head, but without the comparison it's only supposition. I think that rarely folk alter their DoF, mostly keeping within the realms of f/5.6, f/8 and few go beyond f/8... As you know, DoF can make or break an image, but no one uses the DoF preview button which could help them?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you know, DoF can make or break an image, but no one uses the DoF preview button which could help them?[/QUOTE]

Steve, so true. From my next trip, I am conscously going to use DoF preview whenever opportunity presents itself. We are all trying to make better images and I think this is one area which does not receive much attention.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, cameras, (albeit a bit more 'complicated' these days) have in-built menus & options that are their to help you get the capture, so setting up your camera is key and so taking a camera body out of the box and start to shoot is perhaps a thing of the past. Irrespective of how well you think you know whats what with your camera, it's always worth reading and re reading the manual as you might just find something that make a difference in these new bodies.

DoF preview button isn't new, but it's something that is overlooked and so occasionally it could help. The more you shoot the better you get to know your camera and it's limitations, but the greatest thing I think is that things become 'instinctive' rather than 'hunting' for them.

Keep having fun and exploring...

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty darned good Steve! I like the overall exposure and colours, you have lovely detail in those pearly white teeth. The point you make about the eye being pin sharp I think is one of the most important, focusing on the nose or bridge of the nose would probably have just put the eye slightly out of focus and i think that would have lessened the image impact considerably.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, great low POV and wonderful pose with those sharp teeth and expression. Great colours as usual and tech are spot on for such a shot!!! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Steve. The eyes drawn immediately to the head and that facial expression sure makes you look for a while. Love the colours throughout.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the open mouth showing canines, and of course that red Kalahari sand. Assume this was at Tswalu, Steve?
    Good use of low angle and morning light.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Loved the expression and details in your subject. The low POV makes it an intimate view and the sharpness and colours further enhance this wonderful image.

Nice discussion on DOF. I have never used depth of field preview button on the field as i always fail to analyse the preview it shows.

Nicely done.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi guys, albeit i've been away, I've not been getting notifications, hence the delay in responding.

Yes Morkel, you better start saving

Haseeb, rarely do folk suggest some of the options available and this has facility has been around for years, but very much overlook, I'm just suggesting that folk might like to try it, you never know it might just help and take the uncertainty out of nailing DoF. If you have a range finder and a DoF calculator fine, but few do, or if you can gauge on distance too, but it might just be one of those things that pops the light on and becomes an asset.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 11-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post

Sanjeev, rarely do folk suggest some of the options available and this has facility has been around for years, but very much overlook, I'm just suggesting that folk might like to try it, you never know it might just help and take the uncertainty out of nailing DoF. If you have a range finder and a DoF calculator fine, but few do, or if you can gauge on distance too, but it might just be one of those things that pops the light on and becomes an asset.
    You mean Haseeb ?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

You mean Haseeb ?
    Correct, sorted.