Thread: Plain Chachalaca

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Plain Chachalaca

Attached Images Attached Images

From Martin Ranch, TX, this time last year.

D500, 80-400 VR @ 85mm, ISO 800, 1/1600s @ f/7.1 manual.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Nothing plain about this chachalaca Bill, IQ, detail, and BG colors are all terrific. I would wish for more room in front of the bird but with such a long tail, maybe you didn't have the pixels. Looks really good!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty shot Bill on a beautiful perch. Really like how the lines of the bird seem to extend the lines of the perch. Light was a bit harsh but very nice overall.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A stranger in my books so TFS Bill! I think a lighter BG would have accentuated the bird a little better but that's not something you've had control over!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really like the perch with the vegetation. The pose and background are great. Well done.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great looking shot! Love that we can see his red throat patch. Loads of greta detail. I was just birding in the valley this week, and I heard a lot
    of good things about this place.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done in relatively harsh light. A bit off the top would better balance the image design. Ditto Dorian on the throat patch. Was the perch part of the set-up?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Nothing plain about this chachalaca Bill, IQ, detail, and BG colors are all terrific. I would wish for more room in front of the bird but with such a long tail, maybe you didn't have the pixels. Looks really good!
    Hi Ann, I am confused by this: "... wish for more room in front of the bird."

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Hi Ann, I am confused by this: "... wish for more room in front of the bird."

artie
    Me too, I didn't have my browser open, expanded so it looked too tight in the frame. It looks just right!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Well done in relatively harsh light. A bit off the top would better balance the image design. Ditto Dorian on the throat patch. Was the perch part of the set-up?

with love, artie
    Thanks Artie. This was taken from a blind, but the perch is naturally growing vegetation. I agree about the light. By the time we had our fill of Caracaras at a different blind, the Texas sun had gotten high and bright.

Dorian, the Martin Ranch is a good location for Crested Caracaras and Harris's Hawks, and occasional other raptors. Also check out Laguna Seca Ranch, where we saw more species.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by annmpacheco View Post
    Me too, I didn't have my browser open, expanded so it looked too tight in the frame. It looks just right!
    Been there, done that!

a

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Thanks Artie. This was taken from a blind, but the perch is naturally growing vegetation.
    Thanks Bill. Assuming that the perch was uncut naturally occurring vegetation that is what you call a bush in the right place!

am

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yeah, I know about Laguna Seca and Santa Clara. I just have a hard time stomaching $250 a day to shoot......

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dix View Post
    Thanks Artie. This was taken from a blind, but the perch is naturally growing vegetation. I agree about the light. By the time we had our fill of Caracaras at a different blind, the Texas sun had gotten high and bright.

Dorian, the Martin Ranch is a good location for Crested Caracaras and Harris's Hawks, and occasional other raptors. Also check out Laguna Seca Ranch, where we saw more species.