Thread: Peek a Boo! Emperor penguin chick peers out of the brood pouch - Snow Hill island, Antarctica

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Peek a Boo! Emperor penguin chick peers out of the brood pouch - Snow Hill island, Antarctica

Attached Images Attached Images

Image from recent expedition to Antarctica aboard the Kapitan Khlebnikov. Quark Expeditions.
    Difficult conditions this day with cold, windy and some snow.
    Sony A7R3, 100-400 with 1.4x at 560mm, 1/1250 @f/11, iso 640.
    An incredible trip with chicks in the pouch an added bonus.
    Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting habitat image. I like the feeling of the intense cold that the image gives. The image is a little too busy for my taste and the chick looks a little soft. I appreciate that the image was shot under difficult conditions. Well done for being there and getting the image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hope you had a great trip. Nice seeing the chick under the feet. The blacks look pretty dark especially on the heads.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

the mom with juvenile is priceless but I agree it was a bit crowded and I am not seeing the details that Artie's image had. Still I'd be happy with a frame of the emperor penguin

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

H Mike, Ditto the comments above. Was this from the first Quark trip this year on the KK?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    Yes, we were on the first trip on the KK. I have built most of the galleries on my website. This time I put some GoPro videos (each between 1 and 2 minutes in length) in a gallery to help explain the adventure. They are in "Trip Videos" The colony experiences are in "Days 6-9" We had a similar experience to yours in that it took an extra day for the Khlebnikov to get within helicopter distance (in our case 7 miles) and we had to leave a day early, but in our case it was a life threatening injury to one of the passengers. The result was three days at the colony. Such are expeditions. Helicopter operations 2 gives the best perspective of where the colony was relative to the ship and base camp.
    Images with a lot of detail are in the day three images as that was the day we had the best light.
    Hope you enjoy: https://www.mojphoto.com/f339714510

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikeojohnson View Post
    Hi Artie,
    Yes, we were on the first trip on the KK. I have built most of the galleries on my website. This time I put some GoPro videos (each between 1 and 2 minutes in length) in a gallery to help explain the adventure. They are in "Trip Videos" The colony experiences are in "Days 6-9" We had a similar experience to yours in that it took an extra day for the Khlebnikov to get within helicopter distance (in our case 7 miles) and we had to leave a day early, but in our case it was a life threatening injury to one of the passengers. The result was three days at the colony. Such are expeditions. Helicopter operations 2 gives the best perspective of where the colony was relative to the ship and base camp.
    Images with a lot of detail are in the day three images as that was the day we had the best light.
    Hope you enjoy: https://www.mojphoto.com/f339714510

Mike
    Thanks for the link. We had three days there too :) Is there a way to pause the videos so that they can load and then run smoothly? I have a lousy connection at my home in Indian Lake Estates, FL ...

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

When you click on the video to play a bar opens at the bottom with a play/pause button. Might help to pause it to give the video time to load.
    mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. I figgered it out :)

with love, artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A wonderful experience documented. I agree with earlier comments about being busy, but as David Cowling said, congratulations for just getting there. Thanks for sharing.