Thread: Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image recently at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/2000 F/7.1 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1100 Auto 1 WB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-09-2018 at 08:11 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely shot Joe, however I probably would have opted for a 1x1 cop in order to not have this much space around the bird. I'm not sure if it was a heavy crop and what your ISO reading was but you seem to have a lot of noise on the bird?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tobie Schalkwyk View Post
    Lovely shot Joe, however I probably would have opted for a 1x1 cop in order to not have this much space around the bird. I'm not sure if it was a heavy crop and what your ISO reading was but you seem to have a lot of noise on the bird?
    Hi Tobie, thank you for viewing and commenting. I think rather than noise what you saw was too much clarity and sharpening. I edited the image, repost follows.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I rather like the feeling of space in the image. The bird looks very alert with a great gaze into the lens. The bird itself is sharp and the re-post looks better. Beautiful background.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the repost Joe, love the eyes on these frenetic twitchy guys, you did very well isolating him. Nice details!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose with a nice perch and a excellent background here.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great frame of a difficult species. Killer BKGR. I would go for a pano crop by equalizing the space below the bird so that it is the same size as the space above the bird. Sharp with a great EXP and a curious look.

am
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.