Thread: Trunck Twister !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Trunck Twister !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone , thank you for your comments and suggestions to my previous post .

I had been travelling for last 2 weeks and now back again, so would like to post for this months theme.
    An image taken at Corbett national park, India. The asiatic elephants after giving a mock charge to our vehicle were performing their usual communication antics. Even the little one joined the adults in the process. A late evening shot , light was still there with the colours of setting sun hitting the group.

This is shot at 200mm then cropped for framing but I feel i should have gone tighter as it was not possible to get the full legs. But still it is not a big crop and IQ holds quite nicely.

DPP 4.8, PSCC 2018, WB, clarity, dehaze, HSL, healed out the track in the bkg, curves, selective colour, sharpening.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400mm @ 200mm, Bean Bag.

ss 1/800, f/5.6, iso 4000. ( should have gone for a higher ss, there was a lot of scope to achieve that ss ).

Your comments and suggestions of any nature are most welcome and highly appreciated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the interaction and soft evening light here Haseeb, 1/800s has done the job, but ideally more as you had latitude, overall techs and image quality look good.

However, the 2 things that detract somewhat for me are the cut legs (going tighter wouldn't work either IMO) and the trunk across the face of the young one, I do like the curled forward ears on the right.

TFS

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, the interaction is great, however agree on Marc's observations, but the truncated legs are less of an issue here, with the melee of trunks. If the calf wasn't there you could go tighter as per you pano crop, but as presented you could go a fraction tighter, but...

The image is sharp, perhaps a tad too sharp, as defined in the trunk and folds of skin in the chest, but it could also be couple with the ISO? Was the light quite flat as the image just seems quite even across the board (look at the heads) with little 'tonal' change so you loose some nice shape & form. Great to see the difference between Indian & Africa Elephants.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really nice detail throughout this frame. The interaction is nice and the pose on the right elephant is pretty neat.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb - A fun interaction image. Love the ears folded forward. I don't mind the legs but not seeing the calf's eyes really detracts for me. Any where the eyes are visible? Good suggestions above.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb if I was there I would have taken it too! However I think there is a little too much going on, I think the semi adults are the focus for attention so the little ones the background just complicate.
    On another note do elephants "chew cud" as it were??

10. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice image....I love the fact you can see the eyes so clearly.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Can't add much more here, but a nice moment in nice light indeed.
    I like seeing images of these elephants, they look so dorky and goofy compared to our African elephants...
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions . The eye of the calf was visible mostly in this frame, nothing I could have done about it. I still think a tighter frame would have been better. may be next time.