Thread: In from the dark...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default In from the dark...

Attached Images Attached Images

Normally I avoid hides like the plague, unless it's something like the hide Morkel used or like this set-up where POV is paramount, great for a one off, but for me, that was it, however it was bolstered by meeting up with Gabriela too . This would not normally be on my radar although like everyone, I knew about this location, but when an offer to hook up with an old pal and help his Canon folk on a workshop, with 'mates rates', things just dovetailed nicely.

Locked in from around 2.30pm to 8.30am all hides have all that you need, it's just a matter of luck with the Wildlife, but with NO guarantees of success, as we found out. This was the only decent encounter we had others had better subjects, the previous night it rained ALL NIGHT! The chorus of the Bull frogs (not expected, or mentioned) would turn any sane person to madness, but after 5 hours of calling we persuaded them that it was not the best place to be, (please note, no animal was harmed in the process).

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented.

Steve

Subject: African Buffalo (Syncerus caffer)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 24-70f/2.8 MKII Gitzo tripod, Flexline ball head, Canon TC-80N3
    Exposure: 1/50s at f/2.8 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, very small crop, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Note: Elements of one Buff in BKG, removed - agree Jon
    BKG clipped, doesn't create an issue for this element

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- As usual the IQ is top notch and great PP work. With the images that I have seen of similar nature it appears that the place is Zimanga but not sure . Unsual techs from you , but still the image looks sharp with nice details. The POV is top class and the reflection is pretty clear without any ripples, almost mirror like. Would loved the full reflection but I understand there must be something holding you to achieve that result.

There appears some distortion or blotches beneath the left horn of the subject and similar effect on the lhs of the frame beside the buffalo in the bkg ?

nicely done, TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

it appears that the place is Zimanga
    Correct Haseeb

Unsual techs from you , but still the image looks sharp with nice details.
    Indeed Haseeb, differed set-up, thinking and working in a different environment too, but also one MAJOR factor - you are shooting through at least, 1.5 inches of glass! So forget about slow lenses you had to use small, fast lens and I my set up with a 16-35f/2.8 on one 1DX MKII & the 24-70f2.8 on the other 1DX MKII so I could toggle between the two.
    There appears some distortion or blotches beneath the left horn of the subject
    Is it in the water Haseeb, truck loads of reflects and repeat patterns, bubbles are small water subjects. Drop me a line, but all is as is, apart from one element as highlighted.

BTW I will send you something tomorrow to think about for the gipsy rig.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Gotcha Haseeb, thanks. It was just the black brush to drop the clipping, should have left it as per the high res.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks pretty cool. Take it this is with a spot light. Looks like the light is from the left. Details look great. Looks great for being shot through glass.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - It screams Zimanga. Details and pov are great. Unfortunately, the comp is not working for me with the additional buffalo in the bg and the hoof of the main subject peeking out and intersecting the face. I don't know if you could have moved left to avoid that. I am sure you wished for greater isolation of the subject at the time. The glass must create a fair amount of issues for people.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Rachel, you need to go there to full appreciate the limitation & issues with this location.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, sounds like I might not want to though. I've heard good things about the hides at Indlovu near Hoedspruit and Mashatu in Botswana. From what I understand, neither has glass.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

... and it looks good to me buddy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve...I am sending PM's but they are not going through. I have sent 3 but nothing is going through....
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 11-10-2018 at 03:36 AM. Reason: deleted email address for privacy

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very good evening to you Steve,

Having seen quite a few I really think this is one of the best buffalo images taken at this hide Good thinking on the lens, first time I went to one of those hides I brought along my 500mm and my 300mm. The 300 mm was great for birds, the 500 mm got me some nice images of a warthog's eye Well... I must have been among the first visitors there and had no clue what to expect.

Great detail on the subject, love the patterns on its boss and visible eyes. Lovely reflection and POV is indeed superb. You've processed this beautifully.

Last time I was there for a morning session I missed a leopard drinking by a few minutes. Was late because I drove past the gate...You can imagine the frustration!

And it was really awesome meeting you! I hope you come back soon. There's so much to see and photograph around here, place is teaming with wildlife

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Right Gabriella
    I was there twice and I will return next year. For me a fantastic place and I made very good shoots!! ..but ..off course you must be lucky.
    I made photos with 17/40

13. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, for me this image is a good example of how to make a great lemonade when conditions provide you with only lemons. And you did well, as always. Someone suggested Zimanga to me and then I browsed website of a tour company and it seemed like paradise for photographers. Thanks to your notes, I now know of some of the challenges and limitations. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you again folks, glad you like it.

Gabriela, yes I remember the exchanges and Andre very kindly taking some shots of the internals and having now been there, they are far more informative. I can appreciate your frustration, mine was the same when Peter had a Lioness come to drink, others had Elephants.

The pleasure was all ours, you are such good fun and great company, time just flew by.

Jay, if you want to know more let me know, but I think you are better off with the trip we discussed.

16. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It remains a cool perspective here, Steve. Being so close really offers something different.
    I was there in the early stages, when they were still planning this hide and I only used the two initial bird hides (even Lagoon hide was in planning). I'd love to return as the Senekal family are such warm people and Charl and I get along very well.

The glass also caught me initially - you have to adjust your "settings calc" in your head eh.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE