Thread: Bumphead Napolean Wrasse

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bumphead Napolean Wrasse

Name:  Bumphead-sunburst-LR-1600.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  589.8 KB

Hi all, apologies for not being around for a while - life got in the way of photography!

I've just returned from a few days in the Red Sea, and whilst it wasn't the productive trip for photography (we kept getting moved sites at the last moment meaning I was often going in with the wrong setup and no time to change) it was good to fire off some frames.

This was from a really tough dive out in a channel whilst looking - unsuccessfully - for dolphins. The current was ripping and I was exhausted about 45 minutes into the dive when we happened upon a friendly bumphead napoleon wrasse that tolerated close passes. Amazing how you get a burst of energy when an opportunity presents itself!

Canon 1dx in a nauticam housing
    Sigma 15mm fisheye
    twin sea and sea ys-d1 strobes
    ISO 800
    1/250th f14

Mike

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Mike -- great to see you posting, really missed your underwater images.

A lovely looking subject , loved the details and colours . the rays penetrating the water gives a very nice effect and those small fishes are adding to the overall scene .nicely done .

TFS !

3. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Loving the lighting, detail and colour here Mike, wondering if more mid tone contrast boost in the light rays and surface top water are worth investigating.

TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whoa. Neat looking fish. The small fish help give this some depth. The composition is well balanced and i like the light on this one.

6. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Mike - Welcome back! You've been missed. I always love your underwater images and the water is so clear here. It's tough to critique for me because I am not sure what the scene looked like but thought the image could use a bit more punch. I also find my eye drawn to the brightest part at the top of the frame so trimmed it slightly. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely image...I like what Rachel has done with the colour.

9. Thanks Mike Poole thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome capture Mike, a beauty of a Wrasse. Subject well placed within the frame and some lovely detail, I really like the eye BTW we've been missing your underwater images

Loved the colours in the OP but when I saw Rachel's RP I liked it even more. Would have been nice to see a tad more of the reef in the lower R corner as it balances the image nicely and gives context.

Very nice frame overall, such a pleasure to view. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Mol View Post
    Loving the lighting, detail and colour here Mike, wondering if more mid tone contrast boost in the light rays and surface top water are worth investigating.

TFS
    Cheers Marc, I'll certainly give it a go, the rays are what really appeal to me in this shot, so anything I can do to emphasise ten is worth trying

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi Mike - Welcome back! You've been missed. I always love your underwater images and the water is so clear here. It's tough to critique for me because I am not sure what the scene looked like but thought the image could use a bit more punch. I also find my eye drawn to the brightest part at the top of the frame so trimmed it slightly. WDYT?

TFS,
    Rachel
    Thanks Rachel, I like your RP. I always like shots with the 'cathedral rays' as they're often called, but I agree I can lose a little as per your crop.

It's always really interesting to me when skilled people re-edit my U/W shots, and I tend to find the RP has more punch. I suppose, being underwater there is less contrast but yours (and others previously) usually produce a version with more 'screen appeal'. Thanks for taking the time to do it

Mike

13. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    Awesome capture Mike, a beauty of a Wrasse. Subject well placed within the frame and some lovely detail, I really like the eye BTW we've been missing your underwater images

Loved the colours in the OP but when I saw Rachel's RP I liked it even more. Would have been nice to see a tad more of the reef in the lower R corner as it balances the image nicely and gives context.

Very nice frame overall, such a pleasure to view. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Thanks Gabriela, there may be one or 2 more U\W images incoming over the next few days...

Rachels RP is nicer, agreed, I like her colours. There is a bit more reef available lower right but I cropped a little tighter as it was out of strobe range, so its just green rocks as opposed to having the interesting colours it had in real life. I may try a loosen it a little though

Mike