Thread: Howling At The Moon... Actually Whistling

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Howling At The Moon... Actually Whistling

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image of a Black-bellied Whistling Duck at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED image captured at 400mm
    1/1600 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV +1 ISO 800 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic CC, Photoshop CC 2019 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-06-2018 at 03:15 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose, and beautifully framed in that nice tree. Well captured.

3. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi Joe,
    I like the composition, terrific pose but it appears soft and the head is not sharp. Nice to see the puff of clouds.

5. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very pleasing to the eye, a nice looking image. Have to agree with Ann regarding the sharpness on the bird.

Will

7. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the title of this one. Very neat frame of this duck. Like the tree with all the green and that whistling pose.

9. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The pose and the framing are killer Joe. You captured this one even better than the photo I posted where I got them whistling but the head was not all the way back like you have here. I love the clouds which break up the blue sky. Really this is one of the best Whistling Duck images I have seen.

I agree with Ann and William re the bird being a touch soft but I think this is due to a processing issue. I also feel your white balance is too cool which caused the rich reddish tones of the bird to be muted. I did the following.

In curves I put the white point dropper on the whitest part of the white clouds which worked wonders and warmed up the image at the same time as adding a bit more contrast. Then I ran some Detail extractor at 30% opacity on the bird only. Ran a touch of noise reduction on the bird and Smart Sharpened at 100% and .5. While not perfect I think if you go back to the RAW you should be able to correct these things. Note that this file was huge for some reason and I had to reduce the size and also the quality to 67% to meet the size restrictions so there is likely some loss in image quality.

11. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love, love, love this image as noted above by many.; the image design and pose are spectacular. It would be worth starting over and following Isaac's advice. In addition, I'd love to take a crack at the RAW file.

with love, arite
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

13. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. As suggested I worked up the original RAW image again. I changed the white balance from auto to cloudy in Lightroom. I worked on sharpening the image more aggressively and added a little clarity to the bird. Here is a post of the edited image.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 11-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks good but I think that you can open up the rufous tones a bit more.

am
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

16. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is fantastic Joe and I think it's one of your best posts ever. It has all the elements of a great image. Pose, action, colors, details and a beautiful scene. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

18. Thanks Joseph Przybyla thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely Setting. I like the green colors surrounding the bird.

May a touch of Yellow in the image.

TFS