Thread: Drakenberg Prinia

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Drakenberg Prinia

Attached Images Attached Images

The photo was taken in the Golden Gate NP adjacent to the Drakensberg mountains in South Africa.
    Taken hand-held with Canon 5D4; 500 F4+1.4X, ISO 400; F5.6; 1/1000.
    I think I should remove 2 sticks left bottom.

Basic adjustments and cropping in Lightroom CC .

All comments and critiques welcome and appreciated.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice light with a nice background. Might be better with the bird on the left side of the frame.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert, The image is fairly sharp and shows a new species for me. Whenever you photograph subject well off light angle -- about 90 degrees here, the illumination of the subject almost always suffers; in the posted image half the bird is in shadow and half is in bright sun ...

Lastly, I do not understand why you placed the bird on the right looking out of the frame ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

For the repost I cropped to 2X3 and added canvas right using Content Aware Fill. I cleaned up the o-o-f branch; I did not mind that one. The I used Dodge and Burn to lighten the undersides and darken the sunlit feathers. (My NIK Color Efex Pro 40-40 recipe would have done a better job of that.)

Everything above is covered in detail in my BAA Current Workflow e-Guide, aka Digital Basics II.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Artie and John,

Here is the bird moved to the left. My original thinking was to leave a space in the direction of which the bird was looking.

You are 100% right about the light. In this case I was walking on a trail around a mountain and had no room to approach the bird from another angle.
    Thankyou for your valued comments.

Regards
    Rob

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Artie,

Our posts crossed each other!
    Thankyou for your effort.
    You have improved the lighting problem substantially and I will study what you did.

Regards
    Rob

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Robert, Good job with your repost and you are welcome. Thanks a stack for your membership support.

with love, artie

ps: I used some small Quick Masks to move your signature and tidy up that lower left o-o-f branch.