Thread: Spotty at the Den

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotty at the Den

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone,

Here is another image from my recent trip to the Kruger Park. This was taken at 06:20 am when a certain hyena clan we discovered was out and about, the little ones stayed close to the den entrance and only climbed out when the adults felt it was safe.

Lots of interaction and it was fun to watch. Hope you too enjoy a glimpse of this restless youngster, will share more as I get to process.

Nikon D5
    Nikon 500F4
    ISO 3200
    F6.3
    1/2000s

Hope you have a beautiful day tomorrow, and many thanks for viewing as well kind comments on my previous image.

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice portrait you have managed to capture here. The details look great. Like those two eyes in the upper right background. Light looks sweet as well.

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely capture Gabriela. The parent's eyes in the upper right corner really add to the story of this image!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Glad to see you experimenting a bit with an unconventional comp. Lovely light on the youngster and I agree the eyes add but I would prefer if the eye on the right as viewed was complete rather than cut off. Nice one.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks John, Andrew and Rachel,

The eyes in the BG belong to another little cub. I was "forced" to crop in this way because of some distracting elements in the frame. Cannot remember why I cut off the other eye but I must have had some reason for doing so, I will check Rachel - thank you for pointing this out.

Forgot to mention that I flipped this horizontally. And if I remember well it was quite a large crop.

BTW this is the only mammal around here which is born with teeth - I guess the moms have a hard time coping with those pin sharp needles:)

Have a wonderful week-end!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela ....i am 50/50 about the question if the pup is sweet or not .
    Already looking somehow ugly .....well for my liking .
    Like the the tight head shot ...but i am not too fuzzed about the eyes in the back . Again nice colors and a sweet warm light , overall i think you can go with a bit lower contrast and a bit more overall brightness/exposure . The image appears somehow dark .... maybe it was that dark at the time of shooting !!!!
    Lovely fine details ....in the youngster , looks well processed ....and maybe i just see the tonal things different .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas:)

He is a sweet little monster! A manipulator too, was screaming for attention and got it from everyone. His siblings were very subdued.

Back to the image, the PP work was a bit of play on my part. The animals were at the entrance of the den and it was quite dark at the time so I thought I'd retain this atmosphere. I did not lift the shadows but instead enhanced them, wanted this to look as if it was captured inside the den. I have a number of images taken at the scene so you will see more Have a nice week-end, Boetie!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea