Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow deer buck

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held Canon 5D IV Canon 100-400 L IS II
    Auto ISO 800 (-0.67) 1/1000 sec f5.6

ACR + PSCC

Patience and a gradual approach got us pretty close.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon,

Wonderful colours here, love this frame. And in particular the large tree in the background and those ferns in the shade - what lush environment! Just thinking you could perhaps tame those bright bits behind the subject a little?

A lot of textures and some nice detail on the deer. Good pose and nice eye contact - well captured Jon, your patience paid off!

I am a bit curious about the bottom left corner, was it an obstacle of sorts?

This frame made me think of a page from of a story book and I spent quite some time looking. It is well exposed and well processed and has a nice 3D feel to it. Really enjoyed viewing, thank you Jon

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela, glad you liked it, I think some may find it a little too colourful! Your thoughts similar to mine, I did reduce contrast on the background and I lowered the highlights some too, maybe more would have been beneficial. No monkeying around with clone patch or anything at the base - just OOF grasses/sedges near to lens, once again I was quite low down. This was a consistent issue, the lower I got the more the foreground got in the way or there was an unsightly dark area vs a pale area.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon a lovely colourful image ... i like it , maybe a bit too intense but i am ok with it.
    The setting is nice and the comp and tones in the darker range does work very well for me , not so sure about the 1/4 and HL tones . To me they do look a bit dull or burned a bit too much , i would expect more light ... in the lights !!!!

Nevertheless a nice image , good work Jon.

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this buck. Looks pretty relaxed i take it is eating some. The light is nice and the darker background makes it stand out some. Still can't believe you take your dog along.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andreas, you are very discerning!, I did lower the highlights - maybe too much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon .... due to english is not my first language ..... can you be so kind to say if ....discerning ... is good or not that good in the context !!!!
    I am unsure ....sorry . It could be understand by me that i am too critical ... at times .
    Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, a nice 'country' scene with this young woodland buck. I've not read any comments prior, but I do think a slight nudge in the Exp and open the shadows a fraction helps. The odd highlight in the BKG is a wee bit little distracting, so either tone them down or remove them. He appears some what 'aghast' to see you with the open mouth? If the Stag had moved a meter more to the right, then you may have avoided the clump of grass in the bottom LHC, but also think you might just be on the cusp with the crop at the foot, but perhaps personal tastes.

TFS
    Steve

PS A little richer in the coat and the whites less drab, ie at the rear????

Landscapes Moderator Andrew McLachlan's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jonathan...I think Steve's repost works better. For me I think the greenery in the original post looks a bit off (perhaps a touch of cyan there) and more natural in Steve's repost.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Jon .... due to english is not my first language ..... can you be so kind to say if ....discerning ... is good or not that good in the context !!!!
    I am unsure ....sorry . It could be understand by me that i am too critical ... at times .
    Cheers Andreas
    No Andreas not a bad term it is complimentary, that is to say you are very observant, i.e. "on the ball".

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Andrew, Steve good job! i think I was concentrating too much on maintaining a strong contrast between the buck and the background.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - A lovely scene. It probably won't surprise you that I would like a little more room below. I like what Steve has done with his rp. I do know what you mean about being so low that the grasses get in the way. It was that way with the bears in Alaska last year. Getting low often meant more obstacles. You have to find a compromise.

TFS,
    Rachel