Thread: Spotty

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotty

Attached Images Attached Images

Good evening friends,

I recently returned from a camping trip in the Kruger Park. Thought I'd find the place lush and green and was very surprised to see it resembled a semi-desert, river beds were dry and there was hardly any vegetation save for a number of shrubs and trees. Earth was so hard one could not get the tent pegs in, after a number of attempts myself and my companion managed to break the hammer. We eventually found a rock which did the job.

Setting up camp took us a while but once everything was in place things got easier and we started exploring our surroundings looking for subjects to photograph. Had some amazing sightings but often our subjects were too far. Other times they were too close

Anyway, here is a spotted hyena for you. This is almost FF. I was busy to photograph another family member at some distance when this character appeared from behind the vehicle and started sniffling at my camera support. I waited until she backed off a little and grabbed a few shots.

Unhappy with DoF but lighting conditions not too good (late afternoon) and I did not want to push ISO further. SS a bit low for my liking. I really wish I had more DoF. Planning to show you a few images of the cubs as well but same issue there, low light and I had to compromise every time.

Techs as follows:

Nikon D4
    Nikon 300mg (not mg, mm!!!) F2.8
    ISO3200
    F8
    1/800s

Hope you all have a great rest of the week, thank you kindly for viewing and comments on my previous images.
    Last edited by Gabriela Plesea; 11-01-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. The light looks pretty sweet. Love the eye contact you have captured here. Details look good and the depth of field looks fine to me.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice warm light Gabriela, and agree, perhaps you were just on the cusp for DoF? I'm just wondering about moving the whole frame a tad more to the left and having some negative space and less hyena body, albeit that this is almost FF.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Color on the bright side of the head is beautiful. I also in general like side light. And I also like shallow DOF, so looks great to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the inquisitive low POV pose here on this sub-adult Gabriela, in what appears more favourable light than what you mention below?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriela Plesea View Post
    lighting conditions not too good (late afternoon) and I did not want to push ISO further.
    Understanding that these days you have thrown off the shackles of high ISO photography,

I guess you knew that indeed 3200 for the D4s is a piece of cake and could have easily granted you that increased DOF, however I take it that you were quite close and perhaps likely would have needed f/13 to get that required DOF.

TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nicely detailed and good exposure, for me the head is just a little too central, otherwise I like it as is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think this is magic - amazing detail and great handling of that brighter and duller light ! Image also portrays something of the mischevious nature of the good old spotted Hyeana

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you all so much for kind comments,

Steve, I was a little upset when I saw this frame as I was hoping DoF was enough. And you are right about composition, glad to say I just found another frame that is suitable for the crop you suggested:)

Marc, I push the D5 a lot but go gentler on the D4. Maybe I shouldn't but I tend to think that the D5 handles better high ISO. And light looks lovely I know but the image was shot at 17:28 - the sun was setting. Oh well, I regret not pushing things a little more but it's too late now...

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Marc Mol thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, I was a little upset when I saw this frame as I was hoping DoF was enough. And you are right about composition, glad to say I just found another frame that is suitable for the crop you suggested:)
    It's just a thought, it may not work, but if you have time go for it.

11. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela you and your emotions for the Spotty´s ........or all other subjects
    Always a treat to read your wording , every time getting along very well with your postings .

Regarding the image ...superb warm soft light and those eyes came out brilliantly , maybe a very tiny bit too brilliant . I am fine with the crop as presented ... but i can see the other suggested crop as well .
    There are two elements or little things that are not fitting perfectly from .... if i be picky !!! You can stand it ...... so i will tell my thoughts .
    Looking at the angle of light .... i would think the shadow side should be darker ( looks a bit too much lifted for a natural shade ) , second is the right eye ( as viewed ) , there you have the depth and deep tones i would think they are in the body as well !!! For example i would expect the same tonal depth in the right ear ( as viewed ) , but the tones in the ear are quite flat and relatively light .
    I hope you get what i am talking about ..... and for sure just my own opinion !!!!

Love the warmth !!!!!

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello Andreas, and thank you Boetie for viewing and comments:)

You are welcome to be picky because you have a fine eye and see things, you know I do not mind!

This frame was overexposed and I had to drop exposure quite a bit and deal with a number of HL. No lifting of shadows because I felt the RHS ( as viewed) had enough detail. Here is the original, no PP work no sharpening:

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ok sorry for my mislead eyes ...
    And thanks for the demo .... you done well Sister !!
    Have great evening .....
    Your Boethie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

No problem Boetie Andreas, you too enjoy the rest of the evening, and sleep well
    Gabriela Plesea

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - You do love these guys and it looks like he came to check you out. The overexposure or ETTR in the field is what gave you enough detail on the shadow side. You handled the hls and mixed light very well in pp. Good suggestions about comp and dof.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Rachel. At times I overexposed even more and played with DoF trying to get some unusual shots. Not sure I have the guts to share those images

The cubs were awesome, I have never had the opportunity to see such intimate scenes before. But lighting conditions were tough because hyenas mostly came out of the dens either early morning or late afternoon. The Park was very dry, no grass at all just sticks everywhere. Heavy rain came down the evening before we departed and it was amazing to see the rivers flowing the next day

Hope you have a lovely week-end,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice Gabriela. I feel like reaching out and scratching that beautiful head, right between the ears. Great detail and an awesome look. Very well done

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you so much Will! Please don't try touch her, she bites sore I'll try post some more images of the young ones, they are really cute. But they have teeth like needles, LOL.

Have a lovely evening, and thank you so much for participating here in the Wildlife Forum - always a pleasure to see your images and just to hear from you

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

20. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post