Thread: Grey Seal bull after fight

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Seal bull after fight

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks have not posted a Seal image for a while ....
    Here you go .... image was taken t 2016 on Helgoland . This bull was resting , after he had a battle with another bull , on the beach of Helgoland . Image was taken in the fading warm afternoon winter light ...
    During the winter is the mating season ....and many bulls are involved in these battles , but most of the times they do not fight seriously as this would cost a lot of energy . So only if the bulls think ...the other guy is really causing trouble then they do fight hard .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 70 - 200 IS L at 200 mm
    HH

F 7,1 ; Iso 16000 ; 1/800 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DPP and PSCC 2018 ; cropped for comp . Many times i am unsure how to crop these guys when they are lying down , meaning where to have more space ? At the bottom or at the top of the frame ?

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this seal. I always enjoy your seal images. The blood on the fur tells a little story of what happened. Details look great especially for that high ISO. Like how the seal is looking into the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like how even though this is an image of a static subject, it conveys a story of past action. For me the framing is good as he is looking forward and to our left.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifully processed, regards composition, less at the base more at the top for me.
    f7.1 seems to have put dof a little in no man's land for me, I would have preferred either less, for the head, or just a bit more to include front limbs.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Nice one at such a high ISO but I do see more noise than your usual high ISO images. Not sure if this is even higher than usual or different pp. For me and comp, I agree with Jon and probably would have gone for a bit more above here. With more space below it gives an illusion of shooting down even though you were lying flat.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome story telling image - i def think space at the bottom is the better choice for this image

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks folks for your kind comments , much appreciated .
    Regarding the crop ...well i cannot make all happy really , including myself !!! So for the moment it stays ...as posted .

Rachel ... it is the 1Dx and i do not push it that far normally , you might have the 1DxII files in mind . And i do have lowered the NR layer slightly

Thanks again , Andreas