Thread: Gently does it

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Gently does it

Attached Images Attached Images

Spotted this guy just after leaving camp after lunch, switched then engine off and 'quietly' freewheeled down not wishing to spook him. After we pulled up we just sat and let him resume his snacking, then fired off a few frames. Just liked the warmth you got around the mane and neck. I reckon around a 5-6 years of age based on the horns.

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented.

Steve

Subject: Greater Kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) or is it a Lesser?????
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 200-400f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/800s at f/7.1 ISO2500
    Original format: Landscape, very small from the top
    Processed via: LRCC2019 & PSCC 2019

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - They can be so skittish so this works nicely. It is definitely a greater kudu. The greater has the chevron across the nose and the bearded throat as well as 6-10 stripes. The lesser has white stripes coming from the eyes (not across the nose), more stripes and a white patch on the throat with no beard. Also I am pretty sure only the greater is found in SA. I don't think the white sky is adding much here and if it were mine would go more pano eliminating the sky.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice side-on view of this majestic antelope. Always nice to get them relaxed, as they can be skittish.
    Not a "lesser Kudu" as we don't have them in SA. Interesting that this one has the more brown complexion seen in the Kudus around the Eastern Cape, compared to the greyer ones up north.
    Assume this was in Zululand?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this big guy. Love how those antlers spiral like that. Details look great. The feeding pose is nice. The distant hills in the background give a nice since of environment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image really well exposed that just screams Zululand with those rolling hills and grey sky........I think it works really well (albeit different) both with and without the grey sky incorporated in the image

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good evening Steve,

Definitely a Greater Kudu, in great shape and displaying a beautiful pair of horns. You are spot on regarding his age. And very lucky to have this encounter in such nice surroundings, background is lovely and no vegetation interfering with the subject ( I am jealous, as you know all I had was sticks and twigs past two weeks in the Kruger)

Love the colours and warmth here, nice pose and perfect head angle. Framing is great. Good choice of DoF. Detail and sharpness in good measure, as expected.

I like this as presented Steve, wonderful work. BTW love to see a bit of the environment here (...well... it's my home)

Hope you have a wonderful rest of the evening, thank you so much for sharing,

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's fascinating how different people have their own ideas upon how to approach animals, some say coast up quietly others say they will have heard you so leave the engine running pull up let the animal relax and then then turn the engine off, not immediately at the point of arrival. I suppose folk have their own successes with many differing approaches. The kudud is very nicely isolated from the background, I like the feeding pose and the finely detailed mane. I don't know if you lowered the exposure on the sky but just possibly lowering it a little may be worth considering.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't think the white sky is adding much here and if it were mine would go more pano eliminating the sky.
    Sky stays Rachel , it needs it and gives 'context' and layering to the image and also helps show the habitat.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The distant hills in the background give a nice since of environment.
    Exactly Morkel.

I think it works really well (albeit different) both with and without the grey sky incorporated in the image
    Thanks Basil, but it has to stay in, as per Morkel's point. BTW has Stu got back to you, I know I have to reply?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Definitely a Greater Kudu
    Has been noted in the eastern side too Gabriela, but thought I would just check.

Good choice of DoF. Detail and sharpness in good measure, as expected.
    Just comes back to evaluating subject distance, sharpness (not always).

BTW love to see a bit of the environment here (...well... it's my home)
    Glad it justified home Gabriela.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't know if you lowered the exposure on the sky but just possibly lowering it a little may be worth considering.
    I think Jon it needs the 'tonal' difference, lowering will just become 'muddy' and so it will just be bands of mid greys.

BTW did you get my phone message this morning?