Thread: Bull Elk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bull Elk

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 10/19/18 at 8:02AM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    403mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/200sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks very foggy, did you try a little dehaze on this? Might make it pop a bit more, I like the pose.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I like the misty/murky conditions and the 'bellowing' posture of the Stag, but it's hard to know without seeing the raw as to whether it was exposed to it's best as the processing I feel doesn't quite reflect things. These conditions are very hard to and I can only judge things on photographing Polar bears, unlike both you & Jon A, but I feel the 'techniques' are very similar in both exp & PP.

Anything like Contrast, DeHaze etc, you have to be mindful, as based on the OP there is a truck load of noise in the mist at the top which will be amplified, plus with LR adding it's own thing in the BKG without you know, doesn't help.

This is probably NOT reflective and hard to do much on a 256 colour 72ppi image, but there are elements you can extract to add some depth, content & detail if you wish too, but it's through a combination of LR & PP, but not ideal on the laptop.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, I like the misty/murky conditions and the 'bellowing' posture of the Stag, but it's hard to know without seeing the raw as to whether it was exposed to it's best as the processing I feel doesn't quite reflect things. These conditions are very hard to and I can only judge things on photographing Polar bears, unlike both you & Jon A, but I feel the 'techniques' are very similar in both exp & PP.

Anything like Contrast, DeHaze etc, you have to be mindful, as based on the OP there is a truck load of noise in the mist at the top which will be amplified, plus with LR adding it's own thing in the BKG without you know, doesn't help.

This is probably NOT reflective and hard to do much on a 256 colour 72ppi image, but there are elements you can extract to add some depth, content & detail if you wish too, but it's through a combination of LR & PP, but not ideal on the laptop.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, Very foggy that morning with heavy frost. I exposed to the right with this and there was literally no data on the left. Dehaze is applied +50. I am not sure how to process these type of images. Can i send you the raw? Would be curious on how you would go about this.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - A very moody image but I think dehaze, if applied, has to be a much lighter touch so as not to destroy the fine detail. Will be curious to see what Steve does with the RAW. His rp from the op is certainly an improvement.

TFS,
    Rachel

8. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I exposed to the right with this and there was literally no data on the left. Dehaze is applied +50. I am not sure how to process these type of images. Can i send you the raw? Would be curious on how you would go about this.
    Yes John, please do, I'll pick it up Tuesday, you have my email address. Might be worth sending it also to Rachel & Andreas, just for some alternative options, however any colour or interpretation of the scene will be personal. The file shouldn't be a problem on email, but it has to be the RAW, not a Tiff or anything else. It will also give me an insight into your set up too, hopefully that might only need a tweak, but as I have said, you should pop it back to Canon for calibration as the 5D4 does need tweaking. I could say what to do but I fear you will get in a pickle when it comes to static & motion.

I'm guessing it won't be a simple/straight forward conversion from my end as there will be some additional work I think in PS which can be a little more complicated, but lets see. I think the dehaze has given the image some characteristics that are not ideal, this is where understanding what each module/sliders do...

BTW did you get my PM as I've not heard back?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post

BTW did you get my PM as I've not heard back?
    Yes. Forgot to respond to that.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John ... oh this foggy images can be so problematic .
    Fully understand your dilemma .... have the same shots from Kamtschatka with the Brown Bears .
    Lovely misty scene with the calling stag .... nice comp . Problem is .... the noise that is very obvious in scenes like this.
    The OP does not work in terms of color ..for me . I would expect more dull colors .
    Steve has taken this frame up a notch ... without seeing the RAW i cannot tell how far i would go in terms of tonal range , a very subjective matter of taste .

TFS Andreas

12. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

without seeing the RAW i cannot tell how far i would go in terms of tonal range , a very subjective matter of taste .
    The image (Cr2) looks well exposed, but very mono, as I have suggested to John, if he is happy, I think you and Rachel should have a crack, we would have three images done in three different converters (Camera Raw, LR & C1/DPP) and think it would be educational too. My only feeling is the camera needs to be calibrated knowing/tested the 5D4.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be happy to but need the file in the next couple of hours otherwise I won't be able to process it until next weekend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be happy to but need the file in the next couple of hours
    You now have it Rachel, it's waiting in your Dropbox.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John and Steve - Seeing the RAW and how much fog there was, I decided to mostly keep it rather than try to eliminate it. Here's my take.

17. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Hollander View Post
    Hi John and Steve - Seeing the RAW and how much fog there was, I decided to mostly keep it rather than try to eliminate it. Here's my take.
    Thanks Rachel, Looks quite good.

19. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I can give a hand tomorrow ... if i have access to the file

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Digging the mood here, nice bugling pose too.
    I like what Rachel did at the end - seems more in keeping with what the expected look would be. OP was a tad too warm on the stag too.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

22. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, OK camera set-up looks good & likewise the raw, albeit not quite sharp, but that is down to a lot of things as previously mentioned.

The first is the version ready to be exported to PS, all controlled within the first two Modules, both Clarity & Dehaze used with a minimal touch, (BTW when LR & PS do large updates it's key to look at what they do and not to dismiss them as some do, they are helpful from time to time). Keep things up to date, as new camera bodies require the latest software to happily process the captures to their best, you can't expect say the 5D4 to deliver with old software, good you are up to speed here John.

Once exported then you can start to apply the finer refinements, through Channels, Masks, Modes, Curves/Levels, Saturation & Colour balance. It's combining these elements and not using them stand alone elements John, but this is where it gets a bit tech, and something over time you will get to learn to help bolster your PP of you captures. Note no Third party like Nik, McCaffery used which some folk like to use, which is fine, this all PS and where you use non destructive pixels.

Colour & depth is all 'subjective' but not artistic. .

As I did not get/receive a notification from Andreas and only got home this morning and processed the file, I think Jon A may have a version, so you have a 'Mean' average.

Many thanks John, hope this has helped.

Cheers
    Steve

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John here is a version for you to consider, I applied selective dehaze, let me know what you think.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ...i am waiting for the file ....since yesterday

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve ...i am waiting for the file ....since yesterday
    I only saw your reply late today, I do do not always get notifications Andreas. I will try to send tomorrow.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your time. This is more about the bull in the fog versus the detail for me. Like the ones that keep that fog.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi all here is my attempt ....
    C1 and PSCC .... i was not in the mood to reduce the shortcoming of that lens in terms of vignetting ....sorry .

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey John ...why do you use Case 3 in your AF settings ?
    If i recall correctly ....the majority of images you posted are more or less static subjects . So no need for this Case 3 ....IMHO .

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    If i recall correctly ....the majority of images you posted are more or less static subjects . So no need for this Case 3 ....IMHO .

Cheers Andreas
    I think it is of little consequence with single point correct??

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do not think so ....as the AF is jumping way more quickly back and forth ...if something is in between you and the subject . Or if the AF does not lock or loose the subject it is trying to focus . Case 2 is more forgiving ....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do not think so ....as the AF is jumping way more quickly back and forth ...if something is in between you and the subject . Or if the AF does not lock or loose the subject it is trying to focus . Case 2 is more forgiving ....
    Yes I agree, I was previously only considering lateral movement.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Andreas
    Thanks for processing the image looks pretty good. I don't know why i use Case 3. Was probably trying to photograph some birds flying about 6 months ago and never changed it.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Your RP Andreas is the best of the bunch for me, looks very reflective and a 'finer' rendition of the Raw, nice one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John and Steve ... i am glad you like my version .
    Cheers Andreas