Thread: Elephant Bull

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Elephant Bull

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks ...have not posted an " over processed " image for a while ....
    So here you go ....
    Taking the original and reflective scene and pushed it a bit further than i normally do , image taken around 11:15 am . Brutal light and very hot ....around 40 degrees C at the only available waterhole in Nxai Pan NP in Botswana .
    My aim was to mimic somehow Mr Delaney´s tonal and color approach to his elephants from Etosha .... during the process i decided to give the image a Fuji Velvia touch with reduced opacity . Colors separated in LAB mode .....
    By knowing this will be not meet all tastes .....still show the experiment .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
    EF 500 IS L II + 1,4 TC
    Bean bag
    Full frame

F 8 ; Iso 1600 ; 1/2000 sec ; man exp and Auto Iso

Processed with DPP and PSCC 2018

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kudos for taking this to an experimental stage Andreas, sure time of day not ideal, however the caked mud and hide texture/colour come up a treat, but wondering why the cropped top body?

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the colour/tonal look as presented. Overall fine details look soft, possibly due to the heat haze?
    Plan to visit Nxai next year.
    Also curious about the crop/framing?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel and Marc .....thanks for your comment , much appreciated .

Regarding the crop .... easy explained . Combo was on the 1Dx and i have taken numerous images over the days with full body visible , so wanted to take something else . You would throw your arms over your heads ....or hit your head against something else , if you could see what kind of frames i have taken due to the very limited options at Nxai Pan . Anette and i had sometimes great laughters ....when we heard the other one shooting ....when there was nothing obvious for shooting !!!!
    Yeah the softness was very often visible .... due to heat haze .Depending at what time we were shooting .

Morkel if you go .... ask before hand . We might had picked a problematic time .....but i was really disappointed about that location .

Cheers Andreas
    Last edited by Andreas Liedmann; 10-27-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Andreas:)

I like the colour palette here and textures on the subject. Image is well exposed.

Don't mind the framing - in fact I think it works quite well. It does seem a tad soft but canvas is quite forgiving so you might consider a large print for your study wall

I take it your holiday was fun despite some disappointments in therms of photographic opportunities. Nevertheless I do hope to see more, and thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The mud and water on the elephant is pretty neat. The Light was harsh but you handled it very well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Sadly the heat haze has killed the image for me Andreas, but I guess that will not come as any surprise .

Without it I think you would have needed to ramp up more DoF, but with the MKII gaining more ISO would not have been a challenge. If you are going tight, how about going square, as loosing some of the RH isn't an issue.

TFS
    Steve

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Andreas - Always great to see you experimenting but this is one that falls short for me due to the softness from the heat haze and the comp. You needed to take the 1.4x off. Sadly the comp of the rp doesn't work any better for me. Sorry.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Gabriela , John , Steve and Rachel for your kind comments .

Rachel & Steve ...sadly a lot of images i have taken in Nxai Pan , are effected by the heat haze . I am 50/50 on if this is a killer or if it is just a reflection of the actual scene , showing the extreme heat .

Steve - no surprise as it was visible through the viewfinder ... the issue with that location ( when we where there ) is that interesting animals only arrived when light was harsh , and heat haze was present . In the best light ( only mornings ) , only a few Jackals and loads of pigeons / sand grouse has been present . In the afternoon and evening ....a lot of strong side light or even backlight limited the options as well !!!!
    Thats how it was .....in glory Botswana !
    But i will come up with some nicer stuff ...from Khwai area , and i also got some good ones for sure here from Nxai Pan .

Steve your crop does work well IMHO , thanks for the demo .

Cheers Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve your crop does work well IMHO , thanks for the demo .
    Andreas, the content is big & bold and the depth is there - (albeit if everything was right), therefore the crop I feel has to be reflective, perhaps to the point where it feels as if the subject is almost pushing itself out of the constraints of the frame, the OP is too loose, it has to be 'in your face'.

Nxai Pan - on reflection yes I have been there, but only to pick an 85 year old German lady up (not Anette) who wasn't there for the Wildlife... Normally I charter a four seater, one seat for Alison, myself & the camera kit leaving one seat which rarely is used, but on that occasion it was a quick pick up & drop off, as we were in transit to another camp that time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Andreas, the content is big & bold and the depth is there - (albeit if everything was right), therefore the crop I feel has to be reflective, perhaps to the point where it feels as if the subject is almost pushing itself out of the constraints of the frame, the OP is too loose, it has to be 'in your face'.
    Agree ...I have a lot of this kinda shots taken at Nxai Pan , the only really more or less cooperative subjects we had at Nxai Pan .
    What else to do other than wildlife watching ?