32 images stacked in Zerene Stacker
    Canon 7DII + 180/3.5
    f/8, 1/50, ISO 800
    PSCC, Nik TC/DE
    Appreciate critiques and comments

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ravi firtly let me say I think the image is OK, but........you have gone to some considerable trouble to make this image and I would have thought there should have been rather more definition or detail. I am guessing the DOF required would have been 1cm max (?) If I am right I doubt very much you would have needed to stack 32 images. I don't profess to be an expert on stacking but sometimes I think the Finnish expression "less is more" is sometimes applicable.
    I note there appears to be some definition in the petals towards the periphery of the image but much less so inwards, this could be due to a variety of things e.g. sharpening regime, subject movement camera movement etc, I suspect movement is unlikely otherwise you wouldn't have taken 32 images so I suspect sharpening and possibly processing, controlling luminosity in dense colours is quite critical. Hope this helps, I don't want to sound too negative, I don't think the image is "bad" - not at all but I do feel your efforts have not been justly rewarded.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jonathan, I think you are quite right in what you said. I think I took way more than I needed. there was a bit of subject movement, so I took several duplicates and I didn't individually screen everyone of them for sharpness before stacking, so there may have been a few that were not in good focus. I didn't sharpen this image, so that is not an issue. I think stacking takes a good amount of care in capturing and screening of individual images for sharpness. I am beginning to appreciate the work involved in stacking as I am new to this. Your comments are helpful to identify the problems, so I can be a little more meticulous in capturing as well as selecting the images for stacking.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The stack turned out pretty well. The square crop works well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Interesting Image.

I would not have gone for stacking as explained above. In general I prefer to go for sharp center and soft out of focus toward the edge of the frame.

TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for all the comments. Here is the square one. I sharpened the center a bit. I am just beginning to experiment with stacking. Although I took several images over the past year for future stacking, I started with Zerene stacker only recently. These comments are helpful for me capture better and screening the appropriate images for stacking.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The crop in pane 6 is much more powerful.

a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.