Thread: Striped Hyena

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Striped Hyena

Attached Images Attached Images

This is my first sighting of this rare species & a first sighing of a hyena in wild in India. We were looking for leopards in Jhalana reserve, near Jaipur when this guy suddenly emerged from the bushes. No time to further up the SS so this is the best i got.
    5D IV
    220mm
    1/200
    f/5.6
    ISO 3200

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Sanjeev, great encounter, but it's just a shame the techs were out as you mentioned.

I think you could go tighter on the crop ie 16x9 to make more of the subject, but for me, the Blacks & Contrast appear a bit heavy and masking a lot of any detail capture, albeit on the laptop so I could be wrong. Sharpness/sharpening looks a bit pushed ie on the tail, however have you left a bit of masking on the shoulder, there looks to be a blur line from the ear to past the shoulder???? The FP needed to be more to the left of the body rather than towards the right (on the head), but again appreciate you had zero time. If the head was sharp and you had a bit more DoF, having the legs blurred through motion would have been pretty neat. I'm still scratching my head, as you have the belly sharp, but the ground, way OOF & blurred, may be a bit of panning or masking again???? Did you add some NR to the background, if so I might just peg it back a little, but personal tastes.

Just nudging the WB & Tint a fraction to the right, a bit of Saturation and reducing the Blacks & Contrast I think helps, but again I'm relying on the laptop, so...

TFS
    Steve

3. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Striped Hyena in India ?! That certainly is not common. Well done Sanjeev with the opportunity. I think Steve's tweaking really uplifts the image. It is inspirational how he sees these possibilities.

5. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great timing in seizing this rare opportunity Sanjeev, a wonderful sighting, sure the techs and road weren't ideal, and Steve's (detail) RP has taken this up a notch but you captured the moment nonetheless. Well done.

TFS

7. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A very special and unusual sighting Sanjeev, thank you for sharing. This is the first time for me to see this species, I did not know you had Hyena in India. Interesting that the build and gait of this animal resembles our brown hyena here but colouring is so different.
    Sorry about the techs - I do understand the circumstances, been in this situation a few times recently Hope you have more opportunities in the future, would love to see more! You need to go back to Jhalana and look for this fellow

Kind regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

9. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sounds like a great encounter. The pose the Hyena is nice details look good and it is pretty sharp for that shutter speed.

11. Thanks Sanjeev Aurangabadkar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev - Great sighting. We've all been there when something unexpected happens and our settings are completely wrong. You did well under the circumstances.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev congrats to you , to have that special sighting .
    Technical issues mentioned ....so no need to repeat . Steve has taken it into the right direction.

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Such a treat to see this this !!! Thank you so much for posting an image of an animal I dident even know existed..........

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Always good to see rarely seen species here. I can't add more to what's already been said, challenging to get it pin sharp with great details everywhere given the settings.
    Are these also mainly scavengers, Doc?
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE