Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow deer buck (juv)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hand held down low on one knee, Canon 5D IV Canon 100-400 L IS II
    Auto ISO 1250, 1/800sec, f5.6
    ACR + PSCC

Modest SS because I had gained his confidence and he wasn't moving too much. I was in two minds about that tiny twig - decided to leave it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice view of this youngster. The Light looks nice and the catchlight in the eye too. Like the fallen leaves on the ground. Did you expand canvas on the right or do some cloning? Looks a little odd.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, always rewarding when you manage to gain their confidence and they 'come to you', well done.

Well you know my thoughts on SS so no need to cover that, but any chance of getting lower? Nice 'Fall' colours and the blue BKG conveys the cold scene, nice light. I might add some mid tone, but not through PS which doesn't give you the correct values, just needs that hint of contrast just on the subject I feel.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, you are partly right, the messy bit is where his pal had been previously rubbing his antlers, i.e. towards the base and where there appears to be an ill defined vertical line. The grasses far right are in actual fact where his antlers were when I took the shot.
    Steve regarding mid tones, I think you are right because I did enhance some of the darker and brighter parts slightly thus rendering the mid tones a little lacking in sparkle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jonathan another very interesting image. What draws me to the image is beautiful light and surroundings. Your investment in gaining confidence paid off. Good reminder that 1/800 s is low SS!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice Autumnal colours and soft lighting here Jonathan, can understand that going much lower would have brought the obstructing FG grasses into play.

TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon what a nice overall fall color/ tone image ... lovely . All works for me as presented , understand Steve that he is seeing more mid tone as a thing to improve , a matter of taste .
    Not understand why this is not possible to achieve in PS ? Correct values ? A explanation why would be good Steve !!!

Jon you sadly killed the image for me with you composing stuff ........ to be honest , if you do that make it good !!!!!
    For me the only solution would have been a square crop !!!!

TFS Andreas

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - You're killing it with these recent posts. Love the ethereal feeling to this from the light and soft fall colors. Dof works really well too. Can you clarify, did you clone anything out?

TFS,
    Rachel

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - You're killing it with these recent posts. Love the ethereal feeling to this from the light and soft fall colors. Dof works really well too.
    Thank you Rachel!!

The first thought I had after opening this, was a masterfully put together Diorama, Jonathan. You've captured that ray of sunlight on the deer and catching the leaves in the foreground beautifully. The fog is outstanding and is reflecting the light as fill on the BG grasses and ground cover. Extremely well done.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks very much every one, Rachel yes I did do some cloning , I put the grasses in on the RHS, otherwise another buck's antlers would have been in the frame.