Thank You Posts

Default Stately Lady...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF 400 DO 2xtcII f8 1/800 ISO1250
    Female Red Wing Blackbird.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's a nice shot, the image lacks a little definition, I would suggest exchanging the 2xTC II for the 2xTC III, I think you will find you get noticeably better results. Also whenever possible lower the aperture, even half a stop helps, but if the subject is bang in centre of the frame lowering the aperture is less important.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice pose on the female. Wish the branch wasn't in front of the tail. Great background.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and background. I like the perch but wish it was just a bit cleaner. A bit of a head turn would have helped as well. Great catchlight. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

First Eos R post. Details on the bird look really nice. I am impressed with the soft feather details! As mentioned the perch is a bit busy and it looks like critical focus was on the shoulder and not the eye. Always try and aim for a head turn towards the viewer, even a few degrees makes the image much more engaging. The only time it works when the head is facing away from us if it tells a story. Is the bird looking at the sunset, it's mate, something that tells a story.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Ditto everything above especially Isaac. The fine feather detail (FFD) looks more than fine to me. I think that this bird is just out of the nest as an adult female would not show the rich rufous coloring.

with love, artie

ps: a square crop and some perch clean-up work left this one looking a lot neater. I used the following: Patch Tool, Content Aware Fill, Clone Stamp Tool, and Gaussian Blur (for background smoothing with an Inverse Layer mask).
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.