Thread: Fallow deer

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Fallow deer

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 5D IV, Canon 100-400 l IS II
    Auto ISO 250 (-0.3), 1/500 sec f5.6

ACR + PSCC ( I only photographed this last week and I have already had 2 updates!)

Another early morning shot.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Think I prefer the previous, but just loving the location & time of day here Jon, was this at TP?

Matter of personal taste, but the breath does look a bit 'heavy', might have thought it may have been a lot lighter, but set against a dark backdrop this may be reflective. Also have you lifted the face, as the light appears rather even and thought it may have been a tad more in shadow, but again, just asking. Would it be more dramatic with a darker BKG? HH and with the ISO I might have just gone to 400. Perhaps not the most 'flattering' of angles for the subject but I do like the comp and that bright area to the LHS, nice POV height too.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes I lifted the face because I thought everyone would say it lacked detail. I lifted the blacks slightly because they had unsitely blobs or patches of black.
    I will have another look at the file I don’t recall doing a lot to the steamy conditions.
    Location is Dunham Massey it is near TP. I went to TP this morning but no real drama.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon.

I lifted the blacks slightly because they had unsitely blobs or patches of black.
    The result I guess depends on how you did it, but it would also be interesting to see what the result would be like if you rolled back Camera Raw...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the backlight here and that "breath". The only thing i find somewhat distracting is the bright foreground in front of the deer. The Pose is alright in my book. Very neat tail on this deer really like that black pattern it makes. Hope you have some more!

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon - I prefer the previous post but like this one too. My first thought upon opening was that the breath looks a little dark and reddish. Good suggestions above about the blacks and hls.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks very much everyone. On reflection I think I was paying too much attention to the histogram and too little to what was actually on my screen, here is a rework, I think this is closer to reality:
    Having said that I would have to say I filled in a few light patchy areas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jon, just scooting between the two on the laptop and I find (correct or not????) that the RP just looks flat, I liked the 'contrast' you had in the OP. I also preferred the longer format. Are you around today?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Oh Mr Ashton ..... a real bummer you have taken with this image .
    I do love the overall atmosphere captured . The breath came out beautifully !!!!!
    RP does not work ..looks rather flat not fitting to the lighting in the scene .
    The BG should go darker and the color balance should be cooler in the BG , warmth just in the mid tones and HL .... just my thinking .

Very lovely and stunning work .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give this one a rest for a while, I produce so many differing versions and then I can't decide which I prefer!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Jon!

Very interesting capture. I like the composition and eerie feel of the image, lovely mood.

I personally prefer the OP. I also find that the composition there is more balanced. What I like about the RP is the FG, less bright and therefore less distracting. And the "breath" seems more realistic.

Interested to see another version so when you go back to this image kindly share with us. I really think you can do much more with this frame.

Really enjoyed viewing, a very attractive image with lots of potential, wonderful work Jon!

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Gabriela I glad you enjoyed looking at the images.