Thread: Leopard

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leopard

Attached Images Attached Images

Another leopard image from my recent trip. I purposely went for a narrow dof because I wanted the body to be oof as I shot down the body as she came closer. Again I converted this from the RAW in ACR without pp a color version.

Canon 7D2
    300 II
    1/640
    f3.5
    ISO 800
    Monopod from vehicle, slight crop for comp, converted in ACR, curves, sharpened in PSCC.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The narrow DoF is good here. I find the crop awkward as the chin is too close to the bottom of frame given the direction of movement. Given you have no lower legs I would crop half-way between the top of the ears and the top of frame, so that the out of focus body extends from the top to bottom of frame to better frame the face.

3. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel, I think shallow DOF works well. Also like clean BG and hint of vegetation on the RHS. I also like the tonality of this image. Unlike most of your eye-level shots, this shooting down angle and crop reduces appeal of the image IMHO.

5. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Rachel ....i too like the narrow DOF , focusing on the head .
    Conversion does look ok to me , but would wish for a bit more punch in the mid tone range and 1/4 range .
    But the faming does not work for me .... due to the shooting angle , but bet not possible to go lower .
    Maybe cropping hared and loosing the top of the image might help.
    TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It is certainly differant and well done for that. Not quite sure if i like it however I feel that Gregs crop suggestion will definately work well

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will echo my original comments on the colour version here too Rachel ie shooting angle which folk have picked up on and the fact you would run out of DoF very quickly after these frames were taken as it gets closer. The crop is awkward and doesn't reflect the subject to it's best sadly. I'm hesitant about cropping too much if you were to print it, but for a RP it wouldn't hurt due to the posting size. For me there isn't enough contrast between the two main elements for B/W and perhaps it's because the general overall colour are shades of yellow?????

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks everybody. I'll take a look at the crop suggestion. Steve, this is a different image than the one previously posted in color but part of the same sighting/sequence. As I said in the intro, I did not pp this in color.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the idea and it's a good one! Unfortunately the image does look like it was taken from a vehicle and this does not offer the best angle.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I look right where the face is the shallow depth of field was a good choice. This would have made a nice vertical.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and John - As you all surmised, there was nothing I could do about the shooting angle as she came close and turned along the vehicle. A couple of more steps and she was too close for the lens to focus.

Thanks again,
    Rachel

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hello Rachel,

I am viewing this image and reading all comments with much interest because I just had a similar situation/encounter with a spotted hyena on my recent trip to Kruger. She came so close to the vehicle ( to the point that the lens could not focus) and started to chew on my camera support. I too did my best and pressed the shutter for as long as it was possible, but instead decreasing I decided to increase DoF as much as I could, careful not to lose too much SS - it was a bit of a gamble really, not sure it worked but I will know as soon as I get to look at that folder:)

Back to your frame, the look on your leopard's face and those ears pointing back show a degree of weariness and determination - I would like to know, was she in pursuit of prey?

I must admit I am also struggling a bit with the shooting angle here but having been in this situation I agree there was nothing you could do. Shallow DoF works here and the subject "melts" into the BG. Conversion looks good, nice detail where it matters, sharpness is there in good measure. A very special encounter you will always remember and I am glad you were able to capture the moment

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

14. Thanks Rachel Hollander thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Gabriela - Welcome back. She was just on her morning patrol. No prey nearby. She had a cub that was not with her so that might explain her quick movements through the area that morning. Yes, another option was to go for more dof but light was lower and you described what I envisioned in the field well, I wanted her face to be sharp and the body to sort of melt into the bg, giving an almost 3D effect to the image.

Thanks again,
    Rachel