Thread: I am a Walrus...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default I am a Walrus...

Attached Images Attached Images

This is a previously posted image in colour, now converted to a straight B/W and in my own conversion I have decided to give the capture more punch and grit, so there is 'Contrast' which IMHO B/W's require. Shot from a moving zodiac.

Converted direct from the final Tiff within LR straight to B/W and then some simple tweaks.

Thanks to those who both viewed and more importantly, commented.

Steve

Subject: Walrus (Odobenus rosmarus) on pack ice
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKI
    Lens: 500f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/2000s at f/8 ISO4000
    Original format: Portrait, small at the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC2019 & PSCC 2019

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A fine image Steve, I remember the colour version or anyway one very similar, the thing that sticks in my mind was the detail in the tusks you had in the colour version, there is detail here but it not quite so well exemplified. The hide (or is it skin?) of the walrus is very well rendered. The background and foreground seem to portray the walrus to it's full capacity. All in all a fine image, well done.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cheers Jon.

there is detail here but it not quite so well exemplified.
    Indeed, because you treat B/W in a different way and are not really looking for what you need in Colour - well, in my book.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice. The head on perspective and the low angle work out well. The walrus gave you a nice pose. The details look great. Looks like a pretty big guy.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - My first observation upon opening was also the sort of stark whiteness of the tusks, personally I would go for a little more tonal variation within the tusks as well. This works quite well as a converted image. Next time try the conversion from the original RAW rather than the pp tiff and see if you get a different result.

TFS,
    Rachel

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, absolutely love the details and patterns on the 'moustache(?)'. If there was a way to 'lift' the eyes, I think it would make better connection with the viewer. For B&W, IMHO FG is distracting and can be fixed by some gaussian blur. Also I think getting rid of black line in the BG would also improve the image. Overall, still interesting image but not as perfect as your color images.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Next time try the conversion from the original RAW rather than the pp tiff and see if you get a different result.
    In all honesty Rachel if I was going to do this properly then the image should have been shot in a B/W mode and also using various B/W colour filters (on the lens, the conventional way, but can also be done in PP) to achieve the shot, converting a colour image to B/W is just purely playing/dabbling, because the overall tones are not being thought about for B/W. Light is the biggest factor for B/W as Mr Delaney continually illustrated when he posted on BPN and so again, you have to shoot differently, as colour images carry too much of one element which often gives a image a flat, mid grey look and doesn't carry the 'punch' B/W's need/require IMHO.

For B&W, IMHO FG is distracting and can be fixed by some gaussian blur.
    Jay I wanted the 'colour/weight' to be there so it creates the 'platform' for the subject to sit on and yes I have pushed it more to provide the contrast needed and a key element to something like this. I also chose this image for the Contrast it carried and pushed it a little to get what you used to get from using B/W photographic papers. You also have to be aware of what 'colour' creates when converted to B/W and how it changes things, this is why some images converted from colour to B/W better. In addition, this also stems when using Channels and why you choose them in Colour conversions because of what they provide. Colour & B/W overlap in may ways and so knowing what say red does, or yellow, blue etc...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ...have not seen many Walrus images in B&W .
    This works quite well .. in general , but i would prefer the lighter handed version like your latest Rhino. But your call .
    I too think the FG is a bit too heavy ....but not blurring is the answer , just reducing the contrast in that area would do the thing if required , you know that yourself . But you have your view and that is ok , just see things differently.
    Framing is great and the BG is pleasing to isolate the Walrus.

Just for the sake of interest .... i like to know what is different when i do shoot in mono , will try to find out myself when the next option is available .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

just reducing the contrast in that area would do the thing if required
    Go to the top of the class Andreas.

Just for the sake of interest .... i like to know what is different when i do shoot in mono
    I have mentioned this time & time again so I won't repeat it, but will drop you a line.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic image that works really well as is imho ! My eye is immediately drawn to the details in that moustache and the bright tusks coming out of it - all works well imho

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Go to the top of the class Andreas.

I have mentioned this time & time again so I won't repeat it, but will drop you a line.
    Will try to go to the top ...

Cannot remember , you said that , but i am not that young any longer , might have forgotten you mentioned this .

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dear Steve,

I really like your B/W of this walrus and I think you have a such good understanding of tonal range and contrast!

The image is well suited to the conversion as it has lots of patterns and textures which you brought out beautifully.

Love the detail as well as POV, nice pose from this big fellow. This works for me as presented, thank you so much for sharing

PS Apologies for late comments, I am back from leave and catching up with work and everything. Been missing BPN...

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am back from leave and catching up with work and everything. Been missing BPN...
    Thank you Gabriela and nothing to apologies for, just nice to have you back, we've missed you too.

14. Thanks Gabriela Plesea thanked for this post
    Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you kindly Steve,

Happy to be back... although I already miss the wilderness

Still busy cleaning and packing away the tents, vehicle and camera gear. I need another few days to get back to reality, LOL.

Chat soon, have a great rest of the week,
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I already miss the wilderness
    I bet, after what probably was a fun, yet intense period time, but always nice to be out on your own where you can chill and just be yourself without worrying.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice portrait here, not often you see them in mono.
    Nice tonal contrast throughout - I do agree on the tusks but not going to rehash the debate that's gone out up above.
    Good to see some B&W work from you, Steve.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE