Thread: whimbrel whizzin by...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Default whimbrel whizzin by...

Attached Images Attached Images

Taken in Iceland with clouds overhead and the last bit of light for the day, Gail B. and I drove out of the Bird Wildlife Area, and found ourselves a farm road where the birds were plentiful. Handheld, I had some chances with this whimbrel as he flew back and forth several times. I love the wildflowers that pop some color in the landscape. ISO 3200 and I tried several ways to reduce noise but still see some.

1Dx
    840mm
    iso 3200
    1/1600

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the upper view of both wings, HA and that tail. The noise(that is left) seems uniform and does not detract from the image IMO. I think there may be a dust spot near the bottom below the bird. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've been trying for a Whimbrel shots for years without success. They don't visit my usual spot on SF Bay. This is a nice effort. The BG is really nice, and the fanned tail is really pretty. But the head angle is tough; he's just not engaged. Also, the whole frame looks a bit pink to me.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image, Ann. Exposure, SH and detail all look good. In a perfect world the near wing would be fully extended and the head turn slightly towards us, but the world is not perfect. Hard enough just to see one of these now and you have captured one in flight with a perfect background, good job. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great background. The dorsal view is nice. Image looks a little underexposed to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann, congrats on capturing this guy in flight, as we normally see them on the ground. Good dorsal view, and love the feathers on the fanned tail. I do like your two tone BG, and the colours look fine to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking from here, I think it could be brightened up a bit. Lovely BG showing the bird well. Pity about the HA, love the detail you captured on the bird...Well done Ann

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good suggestions above!
    Love the BG and the flared tail.
    Just wish for a better HA,
    Gail

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like this flight capture a lot, Ann. The dorsal view of these birds is exceptional, and you've captured every inch beautifully. Great detail, and love the reflection of the setting sun with horizon in the eye. Lovely background also.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well done as noted above. Love the soft light. Some head turn towards us and a loew near wing position would have put this one over the top but still PDG )pretty darned good!)

with love, a
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.