Thread: Bull Elk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bull Elk

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 10/5/18 at 5:36PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full Frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    516mm
    ISO 3200
    f6.3
    1/125sec

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - The branch through the rack adds interest. However, it looks like there might have been some slight movement combined with the slow ss as the face doesn't look sharp.

TFS,
    Rachel

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, I like the colours but you need to loose the cast of Blue, Purple & Magenta over the bridge of the nose/neck coat/fur, the three colours in various % degrees, but as an adjustment layer so you can isolate the area.

As it's FF I'm luke warm and as you use a zoom, did you take any with the subject smaller in frame and so the environment adds context? I think the 'rack' is particularly good, nice depth of colour and detail, especially given the very low SS, it could stand a tad more 'perceptual' sharpening IMHO. I can't see any movement that Rachel refers to, the rack & eye look sharp, it's only that the DoF again tails off at the nose. If the rack had bracken or grass entangled great, but that single broken 'hawthorn' branch is a wee bit annoying, although I'm not suggesting you should have plucked it out, however it is what it is, without it the rack would have been better .

John there are great improvements on your postings, it's just being more consistent and just take breath when you compose the shot, leaving room for the final composition at PP stage. This guy wasn't going anywhere so you did have time, just be careful as they come into rutting season.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    As it's FF I'm luke warm and as you use a zoom, did you take any with the subject smaller in frame and so the environment adds context? I think the 'rack' is particularly good, nice depth of colour and detail, especially given the very low SS, it could stand a tad more 'perceptual' sharpening IMHO. I can't see any movement that Rachel refers to, the rack & eye look sharp, it's only that the DoF again tails off at the nose. If the rack had bracken or grass entangled great, but that single broken 'hawthorn' branch is a wee bit annoying, although I'm not suggesting you should have plucked it out, however it is what it is, without it the rack would have been better .

Thanks Steve, Not much of a choice here in compositions. The bull is right next to a house on the left the foundation comes right through his rump. There are about 8-10 people on the right trying to get as close as possible with their phones.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, Not much of a choice here in compositions. The bull is right next to a house on the left the foundation comes right through his rump.
    Hi John, thanks for the insight, might be worth adding stuff like this to the intro as it's a great help and will help in terms of feedback, critique, suggestions. I can understand now why you did was you did. Perhaps moving left and going for a side profile, slightly more 'open' in the crop might have been a better option, but without being there hard to say.

There are about 8-10 people on the right trying to get as close as possible with their phones.

'There's nowt so queer as folk'
    John and when the Elk has a 'pop' at the folk because they cross the comfort zone, who get's in trouble... I'm surprised one of them didn't come over and ask what you are photographing based on this.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John this does look like a very relaxed specimen ...i do like the relaxed pose , just the find the stick in the antlers a bit distracting from the pure aesthetic POV .
    At this size the detail seems acceptable ... but this SS does hurt .

Comp works well , likewise the tones . I am with Steve and his suggestions on the color .

TFS Andreas

9. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post