Thread: Cow Elk

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cow Elk

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Benezette, Pennsylvania on 9/27/18 at 5:05PM. Image adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Medium crop.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
    600mm
    ISO 8000
    F8.0
    1/400sec

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice face-forward portrait, great background.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, the rich colour here works well adding to the separation and kudos on the high ISO. The curious look/stare engages with the viewer.

What confuses me is where the sharpness is, at f/8 depending on how close you were, you should have the nose and neck fur sharp, if the FP was on say the bridge of the nose, so it goes back to my point that I feel you need to pull the AFMA forward.

TFS
    Steve

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree with Steve. It will be worth investigating when there are any AF (back/front) focusing issues with the lens.

I like the green color in the image. Very nice for High ISO , Was there any NR done on the same ?

TFS

7. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi John, the rich colour here works well adding to the separation and kudos on the high ISO. The curious look/stare engages with the viewer.

What confuses me is where the sharpness is, at f/8 depending on how close you were, you should have the nose and neck fur sharp, if the FP was on say the bridge of the nose, so it goes back to my point that I feel you need to pull the AFMA forward.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, There was a gentleman next to me that could not believe i would raise the ISO so high. He said he shots everything at ISO 100 and just raises the exposures in post. I immediately thought of you and what i have learned on here.

The focus point is right between the eyes two or three higher than the center point. I tried the center point right on the nose but the eyes were soft. I figured better the eyes be sharp than the nose.
    I am also pretty close here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Krishna Prasad kotti View Post
    I agree with Steve. It will be worth investigating when there are any AF (back/front) focusing issues with the lens.

I like the green color in the image. Very nice for High ISO , Was there any NR done on the same ?

TFS
    Thanks Krishna, No noise reduction is applied.

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John - Very nice colors, tones and detail. Again it would seem you were close for f8 not to be enough to have eyes to nose sharp.

TFS,
    Rachel

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve, There was a gentleman next to me that could not believe i would raise the ISO so high. He said he shots everything at ISO 100 and just raises the exposures in post. I immediately thought of you and what i have learned on here.
    If he was using old kit perhaps, but still not the way to go. With your 5D4 use ETTR, put it in manual mode and AUTO ISO.