Thread: Firebird.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Firebird.

Attached Images Attached Images

A strange image I know . The yellow is caused by the low morning sun shining through the wings and catching the rear of the bird. I knew I had to wind the exposure right up which resulted in a totally blown out sky. Comments greatly appreciated.

Canon 7D Mk2. Canon 400mm f5.6 L

1/1600. F5.6. ISO 1600. Processed In LR 5 and PS6.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Hi David, this looks similar to our great blue herons. I like the position of the bird, HA terrific and wings almost full display, however I think you have blown some of the whites on the bird leaving no detail, also the blacks appear to be blocked. Some noise noted underwings, bird has little detail... TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Ann. Thanks for your comments. Here is a repost with the exposure pulled back a little.Name:  _N5A4717.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  370.9 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the idea behind this one. Agree with what Ann has said.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost looks much better. The splash of warm light on the splayed primaries is really unique. This is a very artistic shot, and that overrides concerns of head angle, feather detail etc.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Well, I will go the other way here. I like the original much better. But for the far underwing that is too dark. Many folks do not realize that even in white sky conditions that the light still has direction. Here, the far underwing is actually shaded. For my repost I ran my NIK 50-50 recipe on a feathered selection of the too-dark underwing (as I saw it) and still had to pull the curve up a bit.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.