Thread: Mr Grumpy...

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mr Grumpy...

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the same boy that gave me a 'mock' charge, but after a few minutes and just sitting quietly he calmed down and in fact came to us, which was great - as it was on his terms, the best way. This gave me enough time to change position and be slightly lower, however with him coming closer I was then running out of lens, 135mm on the 100-400 and the 16-35f/2.8 was in the back of the cruiser, so time time to change. A fraction more to the right in framing, but I'm not going to loose sleep. I do like the added Rhino on the horizon, quietly overlooking the scene on a very dull and flat morning, just before it rained.

The rich red soil dominated both the surface rocks and the subjects hence going for a 'toned' (not sepia) image to add contrast to the capture. All created after the Raw conversion via PS avoiding NIK stuff that has had it's day and really leaves very little to the creative, manipulation side of the image for me. PSCC gives you back the 'Burn & Dodge' days of conventional B/W printing, which is nice if you ever did/do printing, or can remember those days.

Steve

Subject: White Rhino (Ceratotherium simum)
    Camera: Canon 1DX MKII
    Lens: 100-400f/4 MKII HH
    Exposure: 1/640s at f/8 ISO1600 (subject was static, lightweight kit, but yes, I would have gone to at least 1/1250 on reflection with no worries on ISO/IQ)
    Original format: Portrait, very small at the top, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2018

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi steve, a very nice head-on shot with some lovely details & textures. Glad the other one in the BG is not intersecting with the main subject. Whats you take on the 100-400 II do you like the IQ and ergonomics?
    Regards
    Sanjeev

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Sanjeev.

Whats you take on the 100-400 II do you like the IQ and ergonomics?
    Well it's certainly way better than it's predecessor in all senses of the word. I only got it as I off loaded a mint 300f/4 which never got used, however it is handy to have in the kit bag. The issue you then have is, do lenses overlap and you can hesitate when making a selection prior to shooting, that's why I will have two bodies at anyone one time, or a third, if I'm lucky....

Taking the collar off is a pain compared to any other prime lens, is it sharp, depends. Mine, like all went back to Canon for calibration as it was out to a degree, but zooms will never be as sharp, or crisp as a fixed in my book, but when it nails it, it is sharp. I think with your combo you would be pleased, especially at close quarters like in the above, or for more wider aspects. Think you should get the new Tiger book, I'll drop you a line.

Cheers
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Solid portrait. The mini rhino in the back balances the frame nicely. Details look good.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very Nicely processed. I like the Rhino in the background. Overall feel of the image is very nice and appropriate to the title of the image.

TFS

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve - Nice to see a rhino that isn't grazing. Head up together with low pov really make this image. Matter of personal preference but I would go with less brown toning if it were mine, especially in the sky. Btw you should try the conversion in ACR/LR. I think you'll be impressed with the results and then can still bring it into PS.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Rachel, but happy with the tones as it's in keeping with the original.

Btw you should try the conversion in ACR/LR. I think you'll be impressed with the results and then can still bring it into PS.
    I do in LR, but I did say to you many moons ago about converting through ACR/PS, way back when Anette was here along with using using Gradient mapping if you remember.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve -- Great to see toned image posted by you . I liked the low POV , right into the face image, The Rhino looks huge and the one in the bkg is also adding to the scene . Details are excellent and slight sepia tint gives a conventional BW feel to the image. I really liked this one , you should post more BW conversions from time to time.

TFS !

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, great eye contact, and brilliant sharp detail on the hide. I like your low perspective, and a great close up of this beautiful 'tank'. A micro millimeter separating the ears of both Rhino's. You cut it fine there bud.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... love the IQ , conversion and the rest .
    Top notch PP work !!!!!
    Cool head on shot , just wish the Rhino in the BG was not there .
    TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice contrast and texture here, Steve. I too am a fan of manual dodging and burning in PS, regardless of "where" the conversion was initially done.
    Were you on foot here?
    I am in 2 minds on the toning, personal preference as you said, I like how it looks on the rhino and rocks but not how it looks in the sky above.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I too am a fan of manual dodging and burning in PS, regardless of "where" the conversion was initially done.

Sadly you can never quite replicate really good B/W images via digital compared to conventional images in my book Morkel. There's a great American guy who was the 'King' in burning/dodging B/W images, creating some 'stella' images and this is when a photographer working with an awesome 'printer' can create outstanding images, but printing is the real art for me and it's not just about the image, but the materials used and the look & feel created by them which can often make or break an image. This is why when submitting images I use about four different papers to get the final effect.