Thread: Burrowing Owl at sunset

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Burrowing Owl at sunset

Attached Images Attached Images

While in Arizona one of the species that I really wanted to photograph was Burrowing Owl. They were in an out of the way area so I was not sure that we would have time to go for them but as luck would have it, the intense heat of the day pretty much killed the bird activity so Walker and I had time to head for the owls. We got there maybe 2 hours before sundown and did not have a ton of time with the birds. It was mostly overcast as well which did not make for memorable lighting conditions. While I got plenty of photos of the birds just standing there, they certainly pale in comparison to the fantastic action shots that have been posted of the species by David Salem and Arash. So we turned our attention to creating memorable sunset photos and tried to make the best of the situation. Thankfully as the sun was setting, the sun came out from behind the clouds and offered some really nice backlit opportunities.

Canon 1dx mark ii and Canon 600 f4 ii. ISO 2500, F7.1, SS 1/1000. This is just about what it looked like straight out of the camera other than me lowering the shadows a tiny bit.
    Last edited by Isaac Grant; 10-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quite dramatic with that strong orange rim-light and still some detail on the bird. I think that it would be twice as good as great if you had gotten six inches higher ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love the orange glows Isaac and the flying dirt from that owl. Very nice to see a backlit image from you. I think I'd prefer the very top cropped rather than including the brightest yellows...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really nice. I love the flying dust. The wide eyes are great. I'm okay with the crop as the top matches the rim lighting well. Beautiful warm colors throughout. Wish it was mine! TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool! (or warm!). I like the flying debris from the fluffing action. I'm with Ann about hiding the very brightest strip creeping in at top, but otherwise quite an image.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great thinking on the fly. Love the rim lighting with enough detail to identify the bird. Agree with knocking some off the top as it helps to concentrate the eye.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the comments everyone. Glad you like it. As for the little bit of brightness on the top I left it because that is a backlit shot into the sun. The brightness and intensity of the sun is what makes that colors and the contrast so striking. Did not feel there is any reason to leave that bit out.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would take this over one of those perfect flight shots with the butter smooth backgrounds any day. This image has tons of mood to it. Very well planned and executed.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this shot, that we can see enough of the features of the owl with such a dramatic backlight is amazing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is really money, the dust-fluff-stuff really makes this shot. The bright strip is a matter of personal preference. I find that my eyes detect more detail and focus better on the bird with just a slight reduction of what's at the top, maybe 5%. But again, personal preference, and I understand why you kept it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderful shot, Isaac. Good thinking to go for a somewhat different Burrowing Owl shot. When I do a bit of browser-scroll I come up with the same reaction as Dorian -- just a tad off the top concentrates the eye better on the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Seen it this morning on my laptop and I thought nice image..Looking at it now on the iMac...Wow, great image...Well done Isaac its looking good.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Isaac, lovely rim lighting here, and I really like the warm light/colours. The flying fluff adds to the image, and well done on achieving this result.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

That's absolutely fantastic with this backlighting, Isaac.