Thread: Out of the Shadows

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Out of the Shadows

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R EF100-400 1.4xtc 1/640 F8.0 560mm

One more beauty in first sun light coming into full breeding finery. One shot AF on face. Crop from top. Minimal DPP changes using Artie and Arash's configure for 5DmkIV.
    As always, thanks for learnings.
    PS
    After exclusively using DSLRs, I'm loving actually seeing sensor and histogram (with needed adjustments)right in viewfinder before shot is taken.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David,
    I like the details on the bird and the exposure looks good. The side lighting casts some of the bird in shadow but I'd say this is an effective image showing some habitat.
    Allen

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't mind the side lighting or the habitat. The shadows give the image some nice depth. Almost everything you see on the avian forum is front light. The crop is a little tight on the left.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

First off, the light is only slightly from the left. I like this one far better than the one below. Will comment on that one in a bit. Good head angle and exposure with a dramatic look. I like most of the grasses but the yellow o-o-f one behind the bird's upper neck might stand to be removed. What is the sunlit bit of white below the ends of the wings/ It is distracting.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    I believe those are the undertail coverts. I am in the midst of studying your recent guides (BAA digital Workflow, DPP4 Guide and Ah Post Processing guide) and did very little in DPP but use the suggested generic settings). I am assuming the settings for 5DmkIV will work as this is the same sensor. I haven't even followed entire workflow yet. Hope it's like riding a bike. (been 10 years since I wore out 1DmkII's shutter).
    John,
    I agree but have nothing on the left as this is full frame with a little off the top only. I do like the lit curve of this beauty in the frame. I also like the side light in this case.
    As always, Thanks for the learnings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks. The fact that the sun hit them bugs me :( I have no clue on the R. How are you liking it?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    I believe that's the low angle sun just reaching past the shadow of the tail feather. Could be toned down in PS I guess. This was my first outing with the R, so I'm no expert. Actually that and the fact I haven't used a modern DSLR (one less than 12 years old anyway) probably makes me a poor judge.
    Reasons I liked it:
    1.) 5dmkIV sensor. Great image quality and ISO performance. I know Nikon and Sony are ahead here but I'm not sure the difference is that great except to pixel peepers.
    2.) The DPAF with close to full frame coverage (5665 focus points) intrigued me. I am certain the PDAF on current DSLRs is better but I wanted to be an early adopter. Why? Because it eliminates completely the old alignment problems of PDAF. The AF is right on the sensor and can never move or misalign. So far, with stationary and slightly moving subjects the servo AF worked very well during this outing. That's with old 100-400 and 1.4tc vII at F8 fully extended. Pretty cool to me because my old 1dmkIIn couldn't do that. I am yet to try BIF to check the tracking. ONLY 5fps though.
    3.)The new RF mount and initial lenses are very promising (none long enough for most Bird photography yet). I'm hoping for an RF 400 or 100 to 400 F4 some day. The EF to RF adapter works perfectly and I believe has improved the performance of my old lenses. There is no loss of light either as the EF lenses are exactly the same distance from sensor. The native RF mount is much closer to the sensor due to no mirror. This is clearly not a typical old adapter situation.
    4.) The EVF looks almost as good as an optical sensor these days. In fact, for my old eyes its brighter in low light situations. You see exactly what you are going to get before you hit the shutter... ANNND you can have the histogram(large or small, brightness or rgb) right in the viewfinder. So, i'm dialing in exp compensation and watching the image get lighter or darker and the histogram moving accordingly. Shooting to the right has never been easier!!!! Same for DOF. Feels like cheating....
    Things I dont like;
    1.)While Canon did a great job making this as close to DSLR as far as look and feel, it is smaller. And smaller means less buttons and fingers hitting ones that are there by accident. I can mitigate this as this camera is very configurable. Almost every button's function can be changed or disabled altogether.
    2.)5 fps, although I'm sure a sport wildlife version will be coming.
    3.)I need to use more to see if AF is as good as it initially feels. And I have no reference point for the AF compared to something like the current nikon DSLRs. I'm sure it is not that good but it could get there one day.
    Peace,
    David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David. Good luck with your new camera. Where do ou live?

I look forward to seeing some flight shots from you.

with love, artie

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Artie,
    I live in Sunrise, west of Fort Lauderdale. I will get working on a flight shot soon.
    Peace,
    David

10. Thanks Arthur Morris thanked for this post