Thread: Drinking Procession

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Drinking Procession

Attached Images Attached Images

An image from our recent (last week) visit to the far northern corners of the Kruger National Park.
    This photo was taken after sunset at the waterhole of the Punda Maria rest camp, which is probably the premier and most photographic waterhole at any Kruger rest camp.

Techs:
    FL 158mm
    f5.6 | 1/750 SS | ISO-3200
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this image, particularly the balancing pose of the first elephant. The back of the second looks hot, but I think the way you have processed it makes it work. Interesting how sharp it looks deep into the photo at f5.6.
    Greg

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image - balancing ele is PRICELESS !! Hard to see how it stayed up......... The bright light on the back on the 3rd ele is frustrating as it looks like you have done all you can about it

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel - A fun image with the ele balancing on 3 legs and leaning in for the drink. Looks like the water level in the waterhole is a little low. Not sure about the conversion here. The image feels a bit busy and I think the toning is adding to that impression. I would be curious to see the color version of this one to see if it has the same feeling.

TFS,
    Rachel

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the comments, folks.
    Looking now it seems I overcooked the elephant's back - it's not overexposed in the original. I am finding my rhythm again and perhaps this wasn't the best choice for a conversion, but wanted to dive into my new files while contributing to the theme eh.

Here's the colour version, Rachel...

Water level was indeed very low, it's bone dry in that area now (hopefully yesterday's rain is the start of a good rainy season).
    Two impala even got stuck in the murky mud and got taken by a leopard at night in full view of the campers on the evening before we arrived.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Lifetime Member Rachel Hollander's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Morkel. Seeing the color version I do think it was the conversion that was creating that busy feeling for me. The color for me is better here.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice you caught them drinking. The pose on the right one is pretty neat. I like the color version better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Morkel --I simply liked the colour version for the reasons mentioned above by Rachel reg the conversion. Though your conversion techniques are very good and you were able to make something of the conversion inspite of being it no so conversion worthy. Would really like to see more from you in this months theme, helps to learn and develop my own images.

TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Morkel, I hope that you are now back on the plot and can help to bolster the Forum????

I am finding my rhythm again and perhaps this wasn't the best choice for a conversion
    I would have to agree Morkel, it's all a bit dark with little tonal range across the board from Black to White creating a very 'Contrasty & heavy' looking conversion. Agree with Rachel, overall the image is busy and needs some old fashioned separation, guess I'm thinking of the 'Legend' Mr Delaney with his Wildlife B/Ws. I would certainly crop the OOF FG at the foot, it's distracting, but it does then leave you with very little at the foot. love the RH elephant balancing really cool. What was the camera body, think 1/750 was conservative for Nikon, albeit you were at 3200 ISO.

TFS
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Morkel, I hope that you are now back on the plot and can help to bolster the Forum????

I would have to agree Morkel, it's all a bit dark with little tonal range across the board from Black to White creating a very 'Contrasty & heavy' looking conversion. Agree with Rachel, overall the image is What was the camera body, think 1/750 was conservative for Nikon, albeit you were at 3200 ISO.

TFS
    Steve
    I believe I am back for good, but will still be finishing up last of my studies till end of year, albeit at a more relaxed pace.

Will PM you re gear
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I believe I am back for good, but will still be finishing up last of my studies till end of year, albeit at a more relaxed pace.
    I was hoping so by the by the Social media increase.

Will PM you re gear
    Yep, sorted, will reply

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    I was hoping so by the by the Social media increase.
    Not kidding eh - I was mostly off social media too for the better part of the 20 months.
    Biggest reason is "Screen Fatigue" - most of the learning materials and reading for classes and exams are digital/ebook these days, so by the time I have some downtime I just want to NOT stare at a screen, hence no photo editing and very little forum/social media time.
    Morkel Erasmus

WEBSITE