Thread: glossy starling

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default glossy starling

Attached Images Attached Images

I know we are not supposed to photograph in these conditions, but still I did... I like the way the colors displayed in the bright light. In Kenya, I believe it is a Ruppell's glossy starling, correct me if it is not.
    400mm, 1/1600, f4.5, ISO 250, trying to get the background to blur.
    Greg

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I do not know the species :( You did as well as possible in mega-hot light: a good EXP and sharp with a nice pose and a perfect head angle. Good on getting low. You made a mess of trying to clone out the bright blade of grass that started behind the leg and poked out of the back ... And, the entire BKGR is pretty messy.

See the Current Workflow eGuide (Digital Basics II) to learn to use Quick Masks (instead of the Clone Stamp Tool). And you can learn to reduce Contrast as well with images like this. And tons and tons more.

Do you live in Wonga Beach?

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie,
    I didn't clone anything in this image, I think it is just the way that hot piece of grass is blowing up. And I agree the background is messy, it was a messy location... I still do not do a lot of post-processing, I need to spend some time learning the techniques.
    Just moved to Wonga Beach.
    Greg

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Love the harsh light here because it showcases the iridescence of this beauty.

5. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Hi Artie,
    I didn't clone anything in this image, I think it is just the way that hot piece of grass is blowing up. And I agree the background is messy, it was a messy location... I still do not do a lot of post-processing, I need to spend some time learning the techniques.
    Just moved to Wonga Beach.
    Greg
    Thanks Greg. Please post a JPEG that represents the original full frame capture (1920 wide < 600 kb). I'm from Missouri! I am trying to understand where the white sort of glowing smudge mark on top of the lower back came from.
    thanks with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle and pose on the bird a very nice. Light is pretty harsh but who cares.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Artie, I was surprised to go back to the original and find out I did indeed clone in this, so unusual for me in general. Didn't miss your eagle eyes! The cloning was done in Lightroom, and that tool is very limited, hence the mess you saw. Two lessons for me, one I need to spend some time to learn to be fluent in Photoshop (I already knew that), and two, I should review the original file before posting, particularly for an older photo. I tend to go back again and again, but work from where it ended last time...
    I hope your trip to the South is productive, Greg.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by greg cowle View Post
    Hi Artie, I was surprised to go back to the original and find out I did indeed clone in this, so unusual for me in general. Didn't miss your eagle eyes! The cloning was done in Lightroom, and that tool is very limited, hence the mess you saw. Two lessons for me, one I need to spend some time to learn to be fluent in Photoshop (I already knew that), and two, I should review the original file before posting, particularly for an older photo. I tend to go back again and again, but work from where it ended last time...
    I hope your trip to the South is productive, Greg.
    Hi Greg, :) Once I asked the same question and the guy got pissed off. I think that it was Robert Kimbrell who was and still is a good friend. He showed me the RAW and sure enough the dead straight line in the image was in the original ... Never saw anything like it.

Do check out the Current Workflow e-Guide (Digital Basics II) to get up to speed quickly. And start hanging out on my blog for lots of free tips every other day.

with love, artie

10. Thanks greg cowle thanked for this post