Thread: Egyptian Goose

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Egyptian Goose

Attached Images Attached Images

These birds were brought from Egypt to the UK in the 17th century to adorn the lakes and parks of the grand houses of the Landed Gentry. There were obviously some escapees.They have beautiful body plumage but their faces will never make their fortune.

Canon 5D Mk4. Canon 400mm f5.6 L. Canon 1.4x extender.

1/2000 @ f8. ISO 1250. Processed in Lightroom and PS6. Slight crop.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great pose but it clearly looks as if the sharpest focus was on the body as the head it not in focus. Where was the AF point in the original image? What AF Area mode? Which selected AF point.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur. The point of focus is showing as right on the point of the beak. Single AF point point. AI servo. The bird was moving very fast towards me so I suspect the shutter lag was responsible for the OOF head. Thanks for commenting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowling View Post
    Hi Arthur. The point of focus is showing as right on the point of the beak. Single AF point point. AI servo. The bird was moving very fast towards me so I suspect the shutter lag was responsible for the OOF head. Thanks for commenting.
    Good job then by the operator. That is the #1 reason why I and Arash and David Salem switched to Nikon ... And to think, I always thought that I was a lousy flight photographer ...

YAW, with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: Is that combo micro-adjusted? Also, you might try Surround as Arash does and I always did at the end ...

with love, artie

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, the combo is micro adjusted. I found it was back focusing and have had to make an adjustment of -17 which seems to be spot on with static subjects.

Best. David

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Cowling View Post
    Yes, the combo is micro adjusted. I found it was back focusing and have had to make an adjustment of -17 which seems to be spot on with static subjects.

Best. David
    Thanks. Been there, done that with Canon :(

with love, artie